[hackpgh-ham] Re: Fwd: [PARC] Extremely terrible experience with Yaesu Support

  • From: Ed Paradis <legomaniac@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackpgh-ham@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 15:01:19 -0400

I've heard down the grapevine that Yaesu support is awful.  Also their
warranty is completely non-transferable.

If you buy a used Yausu radio, you're on your own.  If you buy a brand
new (unopened, unregistered, in box, etc) Yausu radio from someone
other than an official Yaesu dealer, you're on your own.

The only way to get warrenty support is to have a proof of purchase in
your name from a official dealer.  That gets you in the door to deal
with whatever their support dept throws at you.

So... that being said.  I knew this before I bought my FT-817 off of
Ebay.  I'm banking on the reliability of the product in general to not
need service.

Maybe I'm jaded but I never expect any company to stand behind their
product.  It's always "tech support" robo-voice mails and shipping
things around on your own dime, and "oh we don't cover that ... it
says way down in the bottom tiny text..." etc.

I've never asked anyone about any other major manufacturer, though. So
who knows?  Icom and Kenwood could be just as bad.

One thing I take to heart is the very common conflicting stories about
MFJ products' reliability.  People will have tales of DOA and others
will talk about their profound reliability.  Go figure.

If I was holding a fried 9-month old radio that I'd purchased
"correctly" and was still getting stuck with a "$500 bill for a $540
radio", I'd be pretty pissed off too.

Has anyone dealt with _any_ ham radio manufacturer's support department?

Ed