[hackpgh-discuss] Re: opensource hardware meeting next week

  • From: Matt Stultz <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackpgh-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 12:54:11 -0400

Okay I will keep my ranting to a minimum but there are a few points I can't
help but make:

1 Non one is working on PLA extruders for MakerBot's anymore because the
extruders MakerBot makes work awesome for PLA.

2 Comparing the pint quality of your first generation Cupcake to
MakerGear's finely tuned sales tool demo unit is pretty absurd.

3 Many in the reprap comunity hate MakerGear because he steals their work
and calls it his own (see the "MakerGear Prusa"
http://www.makergear.com/products/3d-printers)

Okay Rant over.

Now from the perspective of owning 2 MakerBot's (a Cupcake and a
Replicator) and being at the point of about to build my 3rd 3D printer (
http://reprap.org/wiki/Tantillus).

Build a MendelMax! http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:20355

It's a little more expensive than a Prusa but has the same print
capabilities and is easier to build and far more rigid than a Prusa. You
can print in both ABS and PLA with this bot (there are upsides and
downsides to both). Most importantly it's a "kit" that members of the shop
can put together and learn how these systems work which will make it much
easier when you have to do repairs on it. That is important because it's
not an if it's a when.

I will probably end up building one of these myself at some point if for no
other reason than the large build size.

If you don't want to build a Max then just build a standard Prusa. It has
the greatest level of community support and upgrade parts for it.

If you want to build a Max or a Prusa (or something else reasonable) for
HackPGH let me know and I will print the parts needed for it on my
Replicator and send them to the shop.

Thanks,
Matt