[hackpgh-discuss] Re: opensource hardware meeting next week

  • From: "j. eric townsend" <jet@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackpgh-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 11:28:43 -0400

Background:
I have a Mk7 right now and I am not happy with it. The tension system is such a joke that I replicated the Mk6 adjustable tension system on the first day. Since then it's repeatedly jammed, when i talked to Mets about it he thought there might be some tiny scratches inside the extruder. I bought some .35mm and .4mm drills to try and clean it up or make a new extruder nozzle.

Right now dual just gets you two colors, not a pro-level supporting system for making complex prints. So while this dual looks cool, I'd like to see a bunch of other people using it without any problems.

I've just spent way too much money on parts and designs that failed early on as there had been no field testing.

On 6/13/12 11:14, Jeremy Herrman wrote:
What do you guys think about using this extruder for our yet to be built
printer?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/qu-bd/open-source-universal-3d-printer-extruder-dual-ext

There are "rewards" for both single and dual extruders with either
resistor or cartridge heaters. The dual extruder with resistor heating
is $98 - half the price of a Makerbot MK7 single extruder.

Looks like it would be compatible with pretty much every newer printer
out there. And should ship as soon as the the pledging period is over
(July).

- Jeremy

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 1:30 PM, j. eric townsend <jet@xxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:jet@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    This is part of the reason I think it's not a simple question and
    actual experience with bots is part of the question.

        2 Comparing the pint quality of your first generation Cupcake to
        MakerGear's finely tuned sales tool demo unit is pretty absurd.

    Of course his first-generation Mosaic was "tuned", just like any
    production unit taken to a show by a company selling things.
      MakerBot, Stratasys, etc, would have also brought a tuned box for
    demos.

    However, my "first generation Cupcake" was hardly that.  It runs on
    a Mega, TOM/Gen4 electronics, beefed up replacement steppers from
    Lin, bigger power supply, and uses a Mk6 extruder with a custom
    temperature chart. About the only parts that are FG Cupcake are the
    case and the Z-plate and the fasteners.

    This is why I asked on the reprap-dev list something like, "which
    one is easiest to hack/modify/test for a club or school?"  The
    Cupcake was easy to assemble and turn on but modifying it has been a
    challenge for me some days given how many parts are stuffed into a
    tiny wooden box.

    I'm willing to at least look at MakerGear's products and designs
    having seen the effort he puts into cranking out a good product.
      Personally I don't see much "hate" for him on the reprap-dev list
    and there are plenty of MakerGear parts on Thingiverse and the M2
    has some promise. Sure, MakerGear is selling Reprap clones (and a
    bunch of other stuff), but it's in a very competitive market. If you
    look at the lists on reprap.org <http://reprap.org> and on ebay he
    has lots of competition from everyone from grad students to "Chinese
    pirates" as some describe them.

    --
    J. Eric Townsend
    design: www.allartburns.org <http://www.allartburns.org>; hacking: