[hackpgh-discuss] Re: custom circuit boards?

  • From: Matthew Beckler <matthew@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackpgh-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2011 21:57:03 -0400

Yeah, we just turned the burner up to "H" and waited until we saw the
solder flow. We put a little blob of paste on the tinfoil by the board
so we could see when it melted into a perfect little shiny ball. What
I'm trying to say is that I'm not sure how sensitive it is to
temperature variation stuff, probably more important if you're doing
tiny parts or sensitive parts or ROHS, I would guess. Can't wait to try
it out.

On 09/07/2011 09:18 PM, j. eric townsend wrote:
> cool!  I've never done the SMT skillet thing, but I scored an electronic
> skillet at BB&B that should do the trick.  It claims to have an accurate
> temp setting, but I've yet to calibrate it.
>

> On 9/7/11 21:15, Matthew Beckler wrote:
>> I would like to get a set of prusa electronics made up so I can build a
>> prusa (probably a hybrid with imperial rods and nuts for the frame,
>> metric everything else).
>>
>> I've done smt skillet soldering once before on a regular electric range,
>> it wasn't too bad at all. We were using SOIC chips and 1206 leds (so
>> pretty big on the led front, but 0805 isn't much harder). I could
>> definitely help out with the smt soldering part.
>>
>> -Matthew
>>
>> On 09/07/2011 08:42 PM, j. eric townsend wrote:
>>> heya,
>>>
>>> Was going to bring this up at the meeting but I was stuck at work...
>>>
>>> Ben/Birdbrain is going to do some trial PCB runs.  I was thinking of
>>> getting a few sets of reprap gen6 (very professional) or gen7 (faster
>>> stepper but ugly) boards cut and was wondering if anyone else would be
>>> interested in enough boards to make their own Prusa (or US Prusa).
>>>
>>> I could be convinced to do an order for MakerBot/ThingOMatic boards if
>>> someone is willing to help me run the electric skillet for a group SMD
>>> session....
>>>
>>> --jet

>>> We're going to do a trial run of a PCB Service this week.  For those
>>> familiar with the concept, we take all of your orders, panelize them and
>>> send them off to a fabrication house in China who then makes us the big
>>> panel.  The panel gets shipped back to the US where we separate the
>>> boards and do any internal routing necessary.  You can then pick up your
>>> board at one of our scheduled locations (Fridays at HackPgh, Saturdays
>>> at Assemble).
>>>
>>> Here's the specs:
>>>
>>> 2 layer boards - 0.062" FR4 material
>>>
>>> 2 Layer limits: