[hackpgh-discuss] Re: Website/marketing brainstorm

  • From: Douglas Philips <dgou@xxxxxxx>
  • To: hackpgh-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 10:52:07 -0400
On 2012 May 17, at 10:44 AM, Elijah Richter wrote:
> set up an info mailing list (I would assume it's just a matter of setting up
> a second list right?)

Right. And Dreamhost already has that capability. I had been waiting for Scott
to upgrade our site, and now that that is done, I'll create the
announcement-only list (Dreamhost has a pretty sweet set up for that). I'll try
to get that done this weekend and put up an announcement blog post (and a link
on the right side for folks who want to sign up. Fortunately the list is
user-managed, so we don't have to be adding and deleting users, etc.)

> , and also better document what resources we have (something less buried /
> more up-to-date than the wiki).

I think the wiki is fine if it were a little easier to get to and a lot flatter
(there are too many levels of pages to get to the real substantive pages). The
only problem with the wiki not being updated is that no one bothers, though
many members have asked for accounts, it seems that follow-through is the
problem there.

> Doug, were you planning on working on the balloon next Weds? If not, we
> should get together that day and brainstorm for some ideas on the website.
> I'm willing to help lead/co-lead the design phase, but I'm not a web guy, so
> if anyone would be willing to do the actual site work that would be really
> helpful.

Yes, I am planning on balloon work.
(For new members, and reminder for some of the old members:)
"Project nights" for the balloon in the past have been scheduled for an
hour-ish of time (avg attention span), so we could the web brainstorming at
8:30 after the balloon project (I know, 7pm, but as we all know, much to some
of our chagrins, 7:30 is the effective starting time for any week-night event
in the shop).

Also note that this Tuesday is LoopPgh meeting at the shop, and as they're UX
focused, we might be able to leverage some of that time as well? (hopefully val
will see this and chime in :-) ).

--Doug