[hackpgh-discuss] Re: Friday Night - Artemis Spaceship Bridge Simulator

  • From: Matthew Beckler <matthew@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackpgh-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 14:40:46 -0400

BTW, we discussed last night regarding over-the-internet play; if it
allows starships to fight other starships over the internet, we may need
to challenge other hackerspaces to battle.

That, good sir, is a most excellent idea. Huzzah!

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 2:10 PM, Matthew Beckler <matthew@xxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:matthew@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    So, of course, my other obligation on friday night fell through and
    I'm free from 5:00 onward. I think my finish-it project for this
    friday will be to Artemis installed and see if I can't figure out
    enough to test-drive it.

    -Matthew

    On 03/20/2012 01:49 PM, Scott Thomas wrote:

        We discussed at the shop last night, and the general consensus
        was that
        we need to try this game out as a shop privately, before opening
        it to
        the broader public as an event. That being said, we need to make
        this
        happen one night in the next couple of weekends; it looks bad ass.

        On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 3:18 PM, Tim Cannon
        <timmycninja@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:timmycninja@xxxxxxxxx>
        <mailto:timmycninja@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:timmycninja@xxxxxxxxx>>__>
        wrote:

            I WANT TO DO THIS SO BAD. I have towers(some fully
        functional, some
            not) and a pico-projector. Can I get back tomorrow if it
        looks easy
            enough to give a go?

            On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 1:51 PM, Scott Thomas
        <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
        <mailto:scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>> wrote:

                All,
                As of right now, we do not have an event scheduled for
        friday. I
                think this is a great excuse to try out the Spaceship Bridge
                Simulator, Artemis (http://www.artemis.eochu.com/__).
                Basically, one computer acts as the server, and has a
        projector
                hooked up to it. 2 - 5 other computers then connect via
        LAN, and
                each acts as various stations (engineering, weapons,
        etc). One
                person takes command as Captain, and is responsible for
        leading
                the crew. The Captain doesn't actually really interact
        with a
                computer; rather it is their job to coordinate the
        activities of
                the various stations.

                Unfortunately, I will be out of town, and Doug is unable
        to head
                this one up. We need someone to step up to volunteer to
        run this
                event. You don't need to be Captain; we just need
        someone who
                can make sure everyone gets hooked up to the network,
        get the
                game installed, etc. Please shoot me an email if you can
        run this.

                This one isn't set in stone yet. If you have a Friday Night
                event idea that you'd like to execute in 5 days, then
        please let
                me know.

                Thanks,
                Scott