HackfixNews: "Worm" Crawls Into The KaZaA Network

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackfixnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 14:44:37 -0700

I recieved this notice from the Kaspersky-labs News

"Worm" Crawls Into The KaZaA Network

The KaZaA file exchange network takes its turn as a virus victim.

Kaspersky Labs, an international data-security software developer,
announces the detection of the network worm "Worm.Kazaa.Benjamin" - the
first malicious program to spread through the KaZaA file exchange
network.

The KaZaA network is one of the most popular file exchange networks
using Peer-to-Peer (P2P) technology. Millions of people from all around
the world are active users of the network that allows them to quickly
dig up files they seek (such as MP3 files) and give other users access
to data contained on their own computers.

On an infected computer "Benjamin" creates a directory accessible to
other users of the KaZaA network and regularly copies itself into this
directory under a multitude of different names, the amount of which
counts several thousand. When a network user conducts a search for a
file under a name corresponding with one the worm's pseudonyms the
unsuspecting user is given the chance to download it from the infected
computer. Thus, this is how Benjamin spreads itself through the KaZaA
network.

In addition to eating up free disk space Benjamin takes additional
actions: under the name of the infected computer's owner it opens an
anonymous web site from which it displays advertising banners. This way
Benjamin's creator profits by the resulting increase in advertising
displays.

"Benjamin" is not the first known worm to exploit public access P2P file
exchange networks. Previously the Gnutella file exchange network fell
victim to virus creators. "This event once again demonstrates the
necessity to filter all incoming files for viruses, regardless of how
well protected this or any other network is. Before use all data should
be run through a mandatory check for virus code using the latest virus
database update," commented Denis Zenkin, Kaspersky Labs Head of
Corporate Communications.

The defense against Benjamin is has already been added to the Kaspersky
Anti-Virus database.

More detailed information covering "Worm.Kazaa.Benjamin" can be accessed
in the Kaspersky Virus Encyclopedia:
http://www.viruslist.com/eng/viruslist.html?id=49790.
~~~

http://www3.telus.net/mikebike
See my Anti-Virus pages ~ http://virusinfo.hackfix.org

~*~*~*~*~
To unsubscribe from our list send an email
to hackfixnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe.

For a complete list of email commands for our list send
an email to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of
"info hackfixnews" without the quotes.
~*~*~*~*~