hackfix-virusnews: Virus tries to take bite out of Apple's security

  • From: "Christy" <snowz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackfix-virusnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 15:36:20 -0400

Somewhat dated but just noticed today.. Apologies for
the delay in posting!

Virus tries to take bite out of Apple's security
Attack remains low risk

By Daniel Sieberg
CNN
Monday, April 12, 2004 Posted: 2319 GMT (0719 HKT)

(CNN) -- The first Trojan horse virus to target
Apple's latest operating system was discovered this
week, and it appears to prey on the popularity of
Apple's popular music service. However, it has not
been released into the "wild" or on the Internet, and
therefore remains low risk.

Trojan horse viruses typically open a secret door for
hackers to exploit at a later time.

Macintosh security firm Intego received an e-mail
copy of the virus on April 6, but stressed that it is
not spreading through replication like a typical
virus.

Intego dubbed it "MP3Concept" because of its
"proof-of-concept" nature and because the malicious
coding can be hidden within an attached MP3 music
file. A modified version could also be inserted in
other types of files, such as photos.

Read more here:
http://edition.cnn.com/2004/TECH/internet/04/09/apple.
trojan/index.html
=A9 2004 Cable News Network LP, LLLP.

~*~*~*~*~
To unsubscribe from our list send an email
to hackfix-virusnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe.

For a complete list of email commands for our list send
an email to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of
"info hackfix-virusnews" without the quotes.
~*~*~*~*~