hackfix-virusnews: PCs Infested with 30 Pieces of Spyware

  • From: "Christy" <snowz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackfix-virusnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 19:23:31 -0400

PCs Infested with 30 Pieces of Spyware

By Robert Jaques
April 17, 2004 2:12AM

Adware is software in which advertising banners are
displayed while the program is running and which then
sends data back to a third party without permission.
Adware cookies allow a Web site or software to record
a user's surfing habits without their knowledge or
consent.

PCs could be carrying nearly 30 pieces of "spyware"
software secretly forwarding information about a
user's online activities to others without their
knowledge.

And industry experts suggest that these types of
programs may infect up to 90 per cent of all
Internet-connected computers.

One million scans conducted by Internet service
provider EarthLink and privacy software company
Webroot Software found more than 29.5 million
instances of spyware on subscribers' PCs.

Read more here:
http://cio-today.newsfactor.com/perl/story/23732.html
=A9 Copyright 2000-2004 NewsFactor Network. All
rights reserved.

~*~*~*~*~
To unsubscribe from our list send an email
to hackfix-virusnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe.

For a complete list of email commands for our list send
an email to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of
"info hackfix-virusnews" without the quotes.
~*~*~*~*~