hackfix-virusnews: Outlook Express becomes attack platform, of sorts

  • From: "Christy" <snowz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackfix-virusnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 23:23:59 -0400

Outlook Express becomes attack platform, of sorts
By John Leyden

There's a pleasing symmetry about the latest security
issue involving Outlook Express.

For the last couple of years Outlook (Lookout)
Express failings have been exploited to infect users.
So why not take advantage of its features to send
viruses in such a way that they might fool detection
by AV and content checking tools?

Well that's the gist of a new method of bypassing
many SMTP-based content filter engines, unearthed by
researchers at Beyond Security.

Using a rarely used feature called 'message
fragmentation and re-assembly' (MFR), an attacker can
send emails that will "bypass most SMTP filtering
engines", Beyond Security reports.

Read more here:

=A9 2002, Situation Publishing. All rights reserved..
 Partial Article Reposted with Permission.

~*~*~*~*~
To unsubscribe from our list send an email
to hackfix-virusnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe.

For a complete list of email commands for our list send
an email to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of
"info hackfix-virusnews" without the quotes.
~*~*~*~*~