hackfix-virusnews: Microsoft Warns of Another 'Critical' Windows Flaw (interesting article)

  • From: "Christy" <snowz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackfix-virusnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 10:39:58 -0500

Microsoft Warns of Another 'Critical' Windows Flaw

By Keith Regan
NewsFactor Network
March 20, 2003
http://www.newsfactor.com/perl/story/21051.html

Microsoft has warned users that most versions of its
Windows software have a "critical" flaw that, if
exploited, can allow a hacker to usurp control of a
system or network when a victim visits a Web site or
uses an e-mail program.

The company urged users of Windows 98 and all newer
versions, including Windows XP, to download a patch,
though it said newer versions of Outlook Express and
Outlook 2002 are not susceptible.

The software giant said it is not aware of any
attacks that exploit the vulnerability, which it
first learned of in January, shortly after security
research firm iDefense got word of the flaw from a
UK-based researcher. iDefense said it alerted some of
its clients to the flaw before the patch was
officially made available.

Read more here:

http://www.ecommercetimes.com/perl/printer/21051/
=A9 Copyright 1998-2003 NewsFactor Network. All
rights reserved.  Reprinted with permission.

~*~*~*~*~
To unsubscribe from our list send an email
to hackfix-virusnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe.

For a complete list of email commands for our list send
an email to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of
"info hackfix-virusnews" without the quotes.
~*~*~*~*~