hackfix-virusnews: MS struggles to contain the Slammer worm (interesting articles ~ Multiple references)

  • From: "Christy" <snowz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackfix-virusnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 17:07:15 -0500

MS struggles to contain the Slammer worm
By John Leyden

An insight into the problems faced by Microsoft
indealing with the Slammer (aka Sapphire) worm is
revealed in internal company memos leaked to El Reg.

The email memos from Microsoft security team (18 in
all of which we publish only the first [most
illuminating] four) reveal a giant corporation
struggling to contain the effects of a virulent worm,
which knocked many of its Internet services offline.

Those who blame system admins for the spread of the
worm might do well to ponder on the fact even
Microsoft had not applied its fix which, it's now
clear, was far from easy to apply.

Microsoft also gets slammed by worm
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/biztech/01/28/microsoft.w
orm.ap/index.html
'Slammer' Worm Cripples Internet
http://www.newsfactor.com/perl/story/20574.html
ATMs, ISPs hit by Slammer worm spread
Internet Recovering From Slammer
MS-SQL Worm Simple, Yet Deadly
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,848324,00.a
sp
Slammer Source Code Provides Clues
SQL Worm & Code Red -- Lessons Learned?
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,848860,00.a
sp

~*~*~*~*~
To unsubscribe from our list send an email
to hackfix-virusnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe.

For a complete list of email commands for our list send
an email to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of
"info hackfix-virusnews" without the quotes.
~*~*~*~*~