hackfix-virusnews: Dell to tighten systems security

  • From: "Christy" <snowz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackfix-virusnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 17:53:09 -0400

Dell to tighten systems security
By Tony Smith

Dell is to pre-configure Windows 2000 installations
on its desktop and notebook products in a bid to
provide its customers with more secure systems, the
company said today.

Dell says more than 50 Win2k security settings will
be activated prior to shipment - essentially to save
customers from having to do the work themselves - if
the user ticks the relevant box when they buy their
system. Since so few users activate these settings
when their computer arrives, the company hopes its
efforts mean there will be many more better protected
systems out there.

Of course, you have to wonder why many of these
settings aren't put in place by Microsoft. If it
requires 50-odd settings to be correctly set to get
the OS up to a decent level of security, you've got
to wonder
how vulnerable most systems are.

Read more here:

=A9 The Register.

~*~*~*~*~
To unsubscribe from our list send an email
to hackfix-virusnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe.

For a complete list of email commands for our list send
an email to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of
"info hackfix-virusnews" without the quotes.
~*~*~*~*~