hackfix-virusnews: Dawn of the Superworm (Interesting perspective article)

  • From: "Christy" <snowz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackfix-virusnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 10:40:40 -0400

Dawn of the Superworm

Experts warn that the Slammer worm is a harbinger of
worse strains to come.

Daniel Tynan
From the May 2003 issue of PC World magazine
Posted Thursday, April 03, 2003

The attack came swiftly and without warning. At 12:30
a.m. eastern standard time, January 25, a single
packet of data containing the Slammer worm began
spreading across the Internet. Within 10 minutes the
worm reached 90 percent of the Net and infected more
than 75,000 machines. At its peak 30 minutes later,
it disrupted one out of five data packets. The
result: service blackouts, canceled flights, and
disabled ATMs.

Next time around, we might not be so lucky.

Read more here:

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,110014,00.as

Copyright (c) 2003 PC World Communications, Inc.

~*~*~*~*~
To unsubscribe from our list send an email
to hackfix-virusnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe.

For a complete list of email commands for our list send
an email to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of
"info hackfix-virusnews" without the quotes.
~*~*~*~*~