[guispeak] Re: pc dies while in ie:

  • From: "Will Pearson" <will-pearson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 11:22:05 -0000

Hi Laura;

If it's crashing this frequently, I would think it's one of two problems:
1) Some system files have become corrupted and you're getting unexpected
behaviour.  This is something that happens easier than people think.
2) There's some conflict between windows, or applications you're running,
and other applications or background services.

What I would do is a process of elimination.  Disable each memory resident
service in turn, run the system for a while and see if the problems cured.
If it does, then you've isolated the problem down to one thing conflicting
with another, yet unknown, program.  This would mean disabling firewalls,
anti virus, etc.  So, consider not connecting to any external networks, such
as home networks, the internet, etc. whilst you're doing this.

If that doesn't resolve it, and I know it's a new laptop so this isn't going
to be much fun, format the hard drive and start again.

Will