[guispeak] Re: making 1 computer wireless

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 13:30:17 +0100

Trust me here.  I have this configuration myself.

What she needs is a wireless DSL Router.

For example, the US Robotics Wireless MAXg ADSL2+ Gateway
combines an ADSL Modem with Wireless router for $139.99 -
probably less from the likes of CompUSA, Radio Shack, etc..

You can see this at the following, but take care as the URL
is long and may wrap, it should end in USR9108
http://www.usr.com/products/broadband/broadband-product.asp?
sku=USR9108

The telephone point is simply the normal phone connection in
the condo, where you would plug in your normal phone.

What happens is that you get a special filter cum splitter
which plugs into the normal phone point.  The splitter then
has two sockets, one to put the phone back in again, and the
other which connects to the ADSL Modem/Router.

So in effect the ADSL Wireless Router can stay beside the
telephone point, while your PC requires a wireless network
card to complete the connexion between the router and PC.

George.