[guispeak] installing acrobat problems

  • From: "Ron or Susan Denis" <rdenis@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 14:13:16 -0500

I am trying to install an acrobat reader on a win 98 SE machine. This machine had previously handled the reader quite well but had to have the system reinstalled after a virus attack. Now the install begins, files are prepared, and then the installation wizard says: "acrobat does not run on this operating system and installation is cancelled.". I have tried three different versions of the reader, all for windows 98, each from a different source. All produced the same result. I tried e-mailing adobe but received an automated response saying "go to our web site." I tried the web site and discovered ways of dealing with lots of problems, but there was no mention of this problem. There seemed no practical way of getting direct advice on the free reader. Has anyone else encountered a problem installing the accessible version of acrobat reader? Are their windows components or other files which might not have been reinstalled when windows was placed back on the machine that might cause this problem? In short, anyone have any ideas at all?
Ron Denis