[guispeak] Re: here's the missing post...

  • From: "david poehlman" <david.poehlman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 17:27:26 -0500

Progress is good, not all change is good especially when the change impacts
negatively on those who are the target of what is changing.  For instance,
if microsoft is putting out something and says it is accessible but it cost
250 dollars to get it and you already have something that works well but
it's not the latest and greatest and in order to run some of the new stuff
that say is free, you have to spend this 250 dollars that you don't have nad
can't get, this is not good change.  If someone says they have a free course
for you but you have to spend several hundred dollars to get a computer and
an nternet connection to take advantage of it and you can't afford the
outlay, it may as well not be available.  So, when we impose change, an
impact assessment needs to be part of the guiding force of the change so
that the system can be properly developped.  there is all kinds of research
and development and I have seen situations where r&d worked quite well
together because development looked at research and helped shape the
research and vise versa.  Research needs to be done not only on new ways to
do things, but on the cost of ownership and potential impacts of those new
things.

Johnnie Apple Seed