[guispeak] Re: handheld guiding aids

  • From: "Tom Lange" <trlange@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 21:56:57 -0700

Hi Jerry,
Check out the Miniguide from Sendero Group at

www.senderogroup.com

Here's what the web site says about it:

Miniguide

Detect obstacles in the palm of your hand with the 2 ounce ultrasonic
Miniguide.

Augment information from other mobility aids, like the cane or dog
guide,with obstacle-detection by the Miniguide from 3 to 12 feet.

The Miniguide is 2.5 inches long, 1.4 inches wide and 1 inch thick including
the single AA battery. Two sensors covered by mesh at the front of the unit
send and receive the detection signals. A snug sleeve covers the rest of the
unit.

The Miniguide uses ultrasonic echo-location to detect objects up to 4 meters
away. The aid vibrates to indicate the distance to objects - the faster the
vibration rate the nearer the object.

The aid utilizes the latest electronics to provide excellent robustness,
reliability and battery life. The batteries normally last for many months.

A single push button is used to switch the aid on or off and also change
settings. The aid has various modes and options. The main modes are:
. 13 feet (4 meters)
. 6.5 feet (2 meters)
. 3 feet (1 meter)
. 1.5 feet (half meter)

Cane and guide dog users have found that the Miniguide has assisted them in
many ways, including:
. Avoiding obstacles such as parked cars, poles and street furniture.
. Detecting overhanging obstacles such as tree branches.
. Locating a person at a sales counter.
. Locating the end of a line.
. Locating doorways, gaps and determining if elevator doors are open.
. Navigating around tables, chairs and office environments.

The web site says that the item is temporarily out of stock, but its price
is $339. I bought the Ultra Cane from Sound Foresight, which costs a little
over twice as much and does essentially the same thing.  Problem is, the
Ultra Cane's handle is really bulky and for me, personally, a bit bulky and
uncomfortable to use for anything other than short trips. If I had it to do
over again, I'd opt for the Miniguide.

Hope this helps.
Cheers!
Tom