[guispeak] buying a new computer

  • From: "Roderick, Rick (OFB-LV)" <Rick.Roderick@xxxxxx>
  • To: "'guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 09:56:54 -0400

Hi everyone,

I am planning to buy a new computer within the next few months.  I am trying
to figure out what I need and what to avoid.  Here are a few questions.

1.  How much memory?  Some people say that 512 is enough, but would I be
safer getting 1 meg?

2.  I want good speakers, but I don't want to overdo the bass because I have
a hearing loss.  Any suggestions?

3.  What kind of processor should I get?  How does the AMD compare to the
Pentium series?

4.  When I visited Best Buy, just about everything I saw had integrated
sound and video.  I have heard some people say that I am better off getting
separate sound and video cards.  Others say that integration is the way the
industry is going.  If I go with integration, are there setups that I should
avoid?

5.  What is the difference between XP Home and XP Media Center.  If I go
with media Center, will this cause any accessibility problems

I am looking at local computer stores, as well as Dell.  I have seen Sony,
Gateway, E-machines, and HP.  A local dealer also sells Supra, which is what
I have now.

I currently use JAWS 6.1, Microsoft Office, the various streaming audio
players, and braille translation software.  I am also planning to get one of
the OCR programs at some point.

Thanks for any help you can give me.