[guispeak] Re: Where can I Find Resources on Accessible Courseware Design?

  • From: Madeleine Rothberg <madeleine_rothberg@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 14:42:56 -0400

Hi,
I'm late answering this question, but I hope it will be useful.

Here are links to two resources on accessible courseware educational materials that might be helpful. Both are from the WGBH National Center for Accessible media, where I work. Both address issues for more than just blindness accessibility.

Accessible Digital Media: Design Guidelines for Electronic Publications, Multimedia and the Web
http://ncam.wgbh.org/publications/adm/

IMS Guidelines for Developing Accessible Learning Applications
http://ncam.wgbh.org/salt/guidelines/

Madeleine Rothberg
Director of R&D, WGBH National Center for Accessible Media

On Aug 11, 2006, at 1:45 PM, gerald.g.weichbrodt@xxxxxx wrote:

Hi all,
I hope this is sufficiently close to GUI design topics.  It is Windowsy, at least.

I am trying to do some consciousness-raising about the difficulties of inaccessible web-based training as well as provide pointers to really solid resources on the subject.  I would rather not be selfish and purely push the blindness accessibility issue alone if I can help it.  I'd like to see universal accessibility if possible.  Does anybody have any really solid web "portals" to suggest that would be a great way for designers of typically inaccessible courseware to become aware of the issues and the theory and practice of accessible web design? I've just finished being defeated by some blind-hostile courseware junk, and I'm in that frame of mind that just says, "Aaaargh, where can I send these people to get a clue!!!"

Thanks for any helpful hints,
Jerry