[guispeak] Re: Moving Mailboxes From O E Win98 To XP Machine?

  • From: "Laura Eaves" <leaves1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 02:35:53 -0400

Hi Paul -- I've done this a couple of times and could give some pointers.  It
could be a little cumbersome depending on how many identities you have defined,
but it is definitely doable.
Do you know where the mailboxes are physically located on your win98 box?
If so, just copy that whole folder tree to a place on your XP box and rename
subfolders as you like, then create a new main identity there and rename the
store folder as found in the maintenance tab of the options dialog...
Ok, sorry that's probably as clear as a frying pan -- do this:
Set up your main identity on the XP box in Outlook Express.  Go to options and
look at the maintenance tab where it says store folder and take note of the
path name -- it should be some long horrible path with an incrypted folder in
it.
If you want you can change its name, but that isn't necessary.
Now find the mailboxes for your old machine and copy them all to that folder --
be sure to include all the dbx files, especially folders.dbx, which is a
special mailbox that is only used as a database of the names and paths of all
the other folders.
Once this is done your files should all be there.

Warning: It may be necessary to unhide the hidden and system files and folders.
Do this on the folder options, view tab, which you can get to from the control
panel, and when you are done be sure to apply the settings to all folders,
otherwise they will only be applied to the currently open folder.
On XP, the exact path to the mailboxes is
C:\documents and settings\logname\local
settings\identities\encryptedFolderName\Microsoft\Outlook Express
Note also that the path to the address book (which I just found out) is
C:\documents and settings\logname\local settings\Microsoft\Application
Data\Address Book
There are actually 3 different folders in the system named "application data",
and of course the last one I checked was the right one...
On win98 the application data folder I think is just under C:\
Good luck.
Sorry for all the fussiness, but windows is set up that way.  Let me know if
you need any more info or if I have forgotten something.
--le