[guispeak] Re: Microsoft Word Normal View Won't Stay Normal

  • From: Allen Stutts <emerge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 18:52:04 -0500

Below are a couple of solutions that I saved from previous e-mails. I have not tried either of them and take no responsibility for doing so. Good luck.

***

There are lots of ways to do what you want to do.  You have already
heard some, and they work, but they are, in general, based on so-called
"direct" formatting, what we all learned in the WordPerfect for DOS
days.
Virtually any Word trainer (at least in the sighted world) will
encourage you to do one or both of the following: use a template and
create styles.
Templates.
If you have complex formatting that requires specific margins, fonts,
font changes, bold requirements, and the like, you can create a
template.  Check out the Word help files for creating a template.
Then, when you want to create a paper, choose File and then New.  Don't
use control plus N.  Use tab until you come to general templates and
then pick your research paper or other templates.  Word already has some
built-in templates.  There may already be one close to what you want.
In that case, all you have to do is modify that template and save it
with a different name.  Be sure you save it with the .dat extension.
Styles
Whether you place styles in a template or you simply want a set of
formatting to be available at all times, styles are definitely the way
to go.
First, be sure your word default styles don't already do what you want.
I have so modified my default styles that I cannot check for you.
To see what is available, (within a test paragraph) press control plus
shift plus "s" (for style).  Immediately start pressing down arrow to
see what is available.  When you find something that seems to fit, press
enter.  The next time you want that style, press control plus shift plus
s and type the first few characters of the style name and hit enter.
If you find nothing you like, create your own style.  It is pretty easy.
Just go into format, styles, and new style.
Give the style a descriptive name such as "body text double space."  In
the style, you can decide whether it should be justified, block
indented, first line indented, font size, and bold or regular.  You can
even specify the style of the next paragraph.
So, you may want to create a style called block indent.  Even if your
papers are otherwise double spaced, I'll bet long quotations need to be
single spaced and block indented.  Just apply a "block indent" style to
that paragraph.
Once you start a style for a paragraph, it will carry forward from
paragraph to paragraph automatically, until you change the style.
Use the heading styles for section headings.  Add automatic numbering to
the styles.  That way, you can create a table of contents, can keep
track of the outline levels of your headings (that is, headings and
subheadings) automatically.
The JFW tutorial is pretty good about discussing templates.  It does a
good job in describing how to use styles.  It doesn't even touch on
creating styles.  That is unfortunate, because they are not that hard.
 Good luck!

***

If you have been following this thread, you know that by now we have
figured
out how to get new documents to always open in normal view, but we
hadn't
figured out a way to get existing documents to always open in normal
view.
Well I thought there must be a way, so I did some searching on Google.
You could probably do it with some sort of jaws script also, but here
is how
to do it native to word.
I found the answer at:
http://www.theofficeexperts.com/VBASamples/Word02.htm
I tested this with Word XP, but I believe it should work for all
versions of
Word.
This is probably for the more experienced word user and
I would make a backup of my normal.dot template first.
Please read the above article first and then here is my "jaws
friendly"
version based on the above how to article.

First you must navigate to and open the normal.dot template file.
Then press alt f11 to be placed in the visual basic editor.
Press control R to be sure you are in the project explorer.
Arrow down in the treeview to where it says ThisDocument and hit
enter.
This should place you in the code window.
Copy and paste the following lines (do not include the copy from here
and
stop copying, smile).
Copy from below here:

Private Sub Document_New()
  SetView wdNormalView
End Sub

Private Sub Document_Open()
  SetView wdNormalView
End Sub

Private Sub SetView(ByVal iView As Integer)
  With ActiveDocument.ActiveWindow
    If .View.SplitSpecial = wdPaneNone Then
        .ActivePane.View.Type = iView
    Else
        .View.Type = iView
    End If
  End With
End Sub

Stop Copying.
Paste that and press alt f4.
This should close the visual basic editor and place you back in the
normal.dot.
Press alt f4 to leave word and close the normal.dot.
You will be asked if you want to save the changes to the normal.dot
template.
Enter on yes.
So far on every thing I have tested this change with, they have all
opened
in normal view regardless of the view in which they were created or
saved.

    I'm running Windows 98 se and am wondering if the blank lines
before
"Private Sub Document_New()"

and after
"End Sub