[guispeak] Re: Malfunction not quite solved

  • From: "Will Pearson" <will-pearson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 18:33:46 -0000

Hi Keith;

One thing you could do, is to open them in Notepad and see if you can grab any
of the text out of the documents.  This should be feasible for at least Word
documents.

The problem is, that when you delete something the space occupied on the hard
drive immediately becomes available to be written to, unless you have deleted
to the 'recycle bin'.  So, any program can then overwrite the space occupied by
those files, and this includes all the behind the scenes temporary files that
are created by Windows and applications.  A file recovery program will then
only be able to recover the information from areas of the drive that have not
been overwritten, as deleting a file only causes the fact that space can now be
written to, to be represented in the file allocation table, and until data is
written to that area of the hard drive the files remain in tact.

Will