[guispeak] Re: Firefox 1.0

  • From: "Laura Eaves" <leaves1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 13:27:50 -0500

Hi -- This is very interesting -- I know a few people using firefox and love
it, but none are visually impaired.
However, in order to work effectively with jaws or WindowEyes, it has to use
MSAA to pass info to the screen reader.  The MSAA interface is supported in
libraries for the various programming languages on vs.net (the Microsoft
programming environment platform), but I don't know how to use it.
It would be an interesting project to add MSAA hooks to firefox and
distribute the source.
Now as for linux versions, I am not familiar with how screen readers handle
browsing there.
I used to do hacks and bug fixes on lynx a long time ago, but quit and moved
to windows when I foundout how much better screen readers had become.  Now I
haven't been on unix/linux since I lost the rest of my vision, but know many
blind persons who work heavily there with screen readers that have also come
a long way.
So when I have enough money to get a linux box I may get one -- maybe next
Feb or March.

Anyway, I once purchased a program called "secure IE" -- a web browser put
out by McAfee that is supposed to guard against all the malicious hacks some
people put on web pages.  But it was not accessible at all, and I went back
to IE.  So MSAA is important.
But the proof is in the pudding.
If anyone does try the windows version of firefox with a screen please post
and let me know what you find -- and I'll do the same!
Take care!
--le