[guispeak] Re: File Decompression Problem in XP

  • From: gerald.g.weichbrodt@xxxxxx
  • To: guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 07:55:35 -0400

Hi Dan,
I've been reading the various posts made on this subject over the weekend.
 I'm not familiar with 7Zip, but it occurred to me to suggest uninstalling
it so that you would be back to just Windows XP's native support for
zip-files.  My experience has been that installation of other
zip-file-handling software generally renders the native support
inoperative or at least unreliable.  I'm thinking you might want to try
moving back to the native support provided with XP, see how that works,
and then, if you like, reinstall your 7Zip.  At the very least, I suspect
testing out the build-in XP support might tell you if there are other
health problems in your copy of XP.

As well, if you haven't installed XP Service Pack 2, I'd highly recommend
it.  SP2 has been around a long time, and it provides good strong
enhancements and bug-fixes.  Installing it may also fix some problems that
could have crept into your copy of XP over time.

Regards,
Jerry

"Dan Kerstetter" <dhk55@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
06/22/2007 04:21 PM
Please respond to
guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

<guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[guispeak] File Decompression Problem in XP

Hi all.

I'm using XP Service Pack 2 Home edition.

Just within the past week or so, I have not been able to unzip any file
folders.  If I use the utility that comes with XP, I get the usual vague
error message from Microsoft.  If I use 7Zip, I get a diagnostic message
saying that I have CRC failures and the file is broken.

I haven't installed anything new lately or made any changes to my system.
I also, in hopes of solving the problem, ran deep maintenance today on my
system with the same results.

I would appreciate anything anyone could tell me about how to correct this
problem.

Thanks in advance.

Dan