[guidedogchat] Re: grass or concrete

  • From: Vincent Thacker <vince@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: guidedogchat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 13:11:03 +0100 (CET)

Hi, Pam,

My dog is a Martini dog, and spends any time, anywhere, except in my own
garden. Recently when I was away from home, the hotel had a concrete spending
area, and he seemed to know straight away what it was, although he hasn't often
seen one before. I expect he got hints from the smells around him, which is one
reason I'm not keen to have a concrete run in my garden. These runs seem to get
smelly even if the owner conscientiously cleans them.

I'm not so sure that cleaning up concrete is all that easy, and am quite happy
to pick up after my dog on grass, or, as it is at the moment, grass garnished
with fallen leaves and twigs.

Picking up after spending was briefly covered in my training, though the
instructors often insisted on clearing up themselves if Zym spent on a training
walk. I was disappointed in this, having become quite good at seeing to this,
and wanting to show off.

I expect that some sort of residue is left on the grass no matter how thorough
I try to be, but no doubt the ecology can take care of that; you know,
earthworms, flies, showers of rain and stuff like that.

Vince.

Message Received: Nov 04 2014, 09:43 AM
From: "Pam"
To: "guidedogchat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"
Subject: [guidedogchat] grass or concrete

hi. do any of u use concrete spending areas for your dogs? i know a couple of
people that do. they r probably easier to clean and maintain. although some of
the instructors prefer u to use grass because it's more natural for the dogs or
something. also did many of u cover cleaning up after your dogs on class? it
wasn't covered on mine anyway.
pam Sent from my iPhone