[guidedogchat] Re: Not for weak stomachs

  • From: "Melanie Akpotu" <melaniemacneill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <guidedogchat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2014 00:49:02 -0000

Hahaha, not nice. My Poodle sometimes gets a residue on his back end when his coat has grown and he needs trimming. As he is only small (between 6 and 7 kg), I just wipe off what I can with baby wipes, and then stick him in the bath. Of course I thoroughly disinfect the bath afterwards, but my bath is rarely used!! Sounds bad I know but we have a separate walk in shower. I am the only one who would use the bath, but due to the fact I have end stage renal failure, I have a tube fitted in my abdomen for dialysis 4 times a day at home, so I am not allowed to use the bath, as sitting in bath water, which is full of bacteria from the skin, may infect where the tube exits my abdomen. So I have to have showers all the time as the water flowing over the area is then fresh and clean. I love my showers but I don't half miss my baths!!

Well, this is not for weak stomachs either!! My guide dog got a really bad stomach upset almost 2 years ago. He kept messing indoors and vomiting. It went on for 2 days but then eased off. I hadn't taken him to the vets, because it had improved on the second day so I thought he was going to be ok. Well he was!! I was relieved as I was travelling to Nigeria (that's where my husband comes from) the following day, and leaving Nyle with my older son at home. Then the day before I was due to travel, my family were here to see me before I left, and Nyle was outside on the patio. He started acting really weirdly and then my sister saw a whole carrier bag coming out his rear end!!! He was straining to pass it, so she had to put on rubber gloves and pull it out!!! That's the only stupid food related thing I have ever known him to commit!! He must have eaten it when on a free run about 5 days previously and it must have sat in there all that time. I dread to imagine and don't even want to, what had been the contents of said bag before it was consumed in its entirety by him.

I said he was doing it on purpose, as 3 months prior to that, the week before I was due to travel to Nigeria again, he suddenly out the blue, had a fit. The vet said it may never happen again, and he was fine by the time I left. But it did happen again 4 months later and then again and again and again, much closer together each time, hence him now being on medication for the rest of his life. Still, he is fine and none the worse for his adventures!!

Mel.

-----Original Message----- From: Nadine Lattimore
Sent: Sunday, January 05, 2014 9:33 PM
To: guidedogchat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [guidedogchat] Not for weak stomachs

As subject suggests please do not keep reading if easily upset.

Not a great conversation, however follows on from previous
conversation of eating random things, spending.

When Quartz pretends to be a cow few times a year, he produces what I
refer to as cling-ons or star trek as a code name (ref klingon). An
incomplete evacuation causing me to have to don a bag or glove if
available and tug.

A traumatic experience for all involved!
None the less has to be done.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?
Nadine Lattimore