[guide.chat] tesco illegally employs illegal people

  • From: vanessa <qwerty1234567a@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "GUIDE CHAT" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 03:08:19 +0100

Supermarket giant Tesco faces fines for 'illegally employing' foreign students
By EMMA CLARK and LUCY OSBORNE
PUBLISHED: 21:08, 20 August 2012 | UPDATED: 01:30, 21 August 2012

Tesco is facing thousands of pounds in fines for illegally employing foreign
students at one of its warehouses.
UK Border Agency officials arrested 20 workers for alleged breaches of visa
conditions following overnight raids at the Tesco.com office in Croydon, South
London.
Authorities reportedly discovered that the foreign students, mostly of
Bangladeshi and Indian origin, had been working three-and-a-half times longer
than their visas allowed.

The retail giant Tesco, pictured, could be fined up to £200,000 after the
arrest of suspected illegal workers at one of its warehouses
At least seven Tesco employees, who have not yet been identified, have since
been deported and several others are still under investigation.
While those arrested, believed to be aged over 18, had student visas and the
right to work in the UK , they are alleged to have exceeded their
20-hour-a-week working limit by up to a further 50 hours in some cases.

Benefit cheat who pocketed £100,000 by claiming to be wheelchair-bound for TEN
YEARS is caught hula dancing on holiday
Tesco and Asda branded 'immoral' for selling bottled tap water without
declaring its origins
Tesco now face a bill of up to £10,000 per illegal worker - a total of £200,000
- for the breaches, unless the company can prove it carries out the legally
required checks.
A UK Border Agency spokesperson said: 'We received information that some staff
members were working in the UK illegally at Tesco.com on Factory Lane, Croydon.
In response officers carried out an operation in full cooperation with the
company shortly after 3am on Saturday, July 21 2012.
'Twenty individuals have been arrested and now face removal from the UK. The
operation was part of an ongoing campaign to tackle visa abuse which has seen
over 2,000 offenders removed since the beginning of May.

The UK Border Agency said the operation was part of an ongoing campaign to
tackle visa abuse
'The employer now needs to provide evidence that it was carrying out the
legally required checks to avoid a fine.'
Tesco, which employs nearly 300,000 people in more than 2,500 stores in the
country, were informed by the UK Border Agency about the suspected illegal
workers ahead of the raid on the Factory Lane warehouse last month, and to
avoid paying a fine the firm must now provide evidence that it had been
carrying out the required checks.
Tesco said it was ?co-operating fully?, and that it had tightened its
procedures to tackle illegal workers following the raid in July.
A Tesco spokesperson said: 'In cooperation with Tesco, the UK Border Agency
visited our dot com store in Croydon in July. As a result of this visit, a
small number of staff were found to have breached the terms of their working
visas.
'We continue to cooperate fully with the UK Border Agency as they look into
this issue. We take our responsibilities as an employer very seriously and do
not condone illegal working of any kind.
'We have a comprehensive system for ensuring all the correct procedures are
followed in this area which has been externally audited and generally works
well. We have now taken additional steps to ensure an incident of this nature
does not happen again.'

from
Vanessa The Google Girl.
my skype name is rainbowstar123