[guide.chat] question for people born Blind

  • From: "clare moulds" <clare@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Guide Chat" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 14:04:37 +0100

Hi Malcolm as you will have noticed I have cut the subject line down as it went
on and on and on when it kept saying in reply to all the time oh it drove me
mad. So come on mate. Will you get into the habit of changing the subject like
Carol and I do hahahehehehehehe. Well yes I agree with you there being totally
blind from birth and losing sight later in life are both hard but in different
ways and of course bring different problems and advantages as well. Well I have
answered this question before when Carol asked it but no I can't have pictures
in my mind of what things look like as have never seen anything so have no
memory of things like people who have had sight in the past. Also colours are
even harder as I have never seen a colour and no one can really describe it so
just meaningless words to me. My advantage though is that what I have never had
I never miss. I just can't imagine what it would be like if I had my sight now.
I bet it would be so daunting for me for sure and maybe I wouldn't even like
it. Well I went to mainstream schools as my parents didn't want to send me away
to a special blind school they had to fight to keep me in the same schools as
my sister as it wasn't heard of back then but these days integrating blind and
disabled kids into mainstream schools is very common and most blind schools
have closed I believe. My schooldays were tough as I had to put up with
bullying but I survived and passed all my exams. I had my own personal special
support tutor who was with me all through school. Oh I think I have started
another debate here. Blind schools versus mainstream schools. Which are better?
I assume though it's more about personal choice. What are others experiences of
schooling? I would be interested to know. Love Clare xxxx