[guide.chat] prime minister smashed windows and trashed university and m ps

  • From: vanessa <qwerty1234567a@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "GUIDE CHAT" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2013 21:23:38 -0000

Curry-throwing, vomiting, broken glass, incoherent drunkenness and the parading
of a newly elected captain of boats naked around a city centre super- market.
Ah! What happy memories it all brings back of my undergraduate days at Oxford.
Yes, I know. It's disgusting, it's inexcusable, it's the very last thing one
might hope for in the supposed brightest and best of their generation.
Nonetheless, reading a recent selection of discipline reports from 15 Oxbridge
colleges - newly released under Freedom of Information legislation - I couldn't
help but feel a twinge of nostalgia about the days when I, too, yearned to be a
dissolute member of an infamous Oxford drinking club.
Ideally, I would have liked to join my contemporaries, Boris Johnson and David
Cameron, in the Bullingdon Club, but the Buller - as it's known - wouldn't have
me. (I got terribly excited one evening when they turned up at my house to
initiate a new member. But it turned out the room they'd come to trash - part
of the initiation process - belonged to my more socially acceptable flatmate,
Ewen.)
Instead, I found a less glamorous group of reprobates to join. Every Oxbridge
college has at least one. Most have several - women-only ones as well as
all-male ones.
Traditions and rituals vary, from drinking club to drinking club, but the aim
is always the same: to get heinously drunk, to behave quite appallingly and to
show that the spirit of Evelyn Waugh's Bright Young Things did not die with the
Vile Bodies and Brideshead Revisited.
Here are a few of the contenders for the title of Oxbridge's most debauched
drinking club.
CAMBRIDGE
THE WYVERNS (aka The Gentleman Wyverns of Magdalene College)
WHO? Cambridge's most notorious drinking society. Open only to members of
Magdalene who have played in at least two college sports teams.
Their dark blue tie with a gold wyvern (a legendary winged creature) emblem is
believed by members to exert magical powers over members of the opposite sex.
(It doesn't.)
DEGREE OF DEPRAVITY: First class.

Initiation: Students participate in an initiation ceremony during 'Suicide
Sunday' organised by the Wyverns drinking society during the University of
Cambridge May Week
INITIATION CEREMONY: In a small room lined with plastic sheeting and wheelie
bins, initiates must spend an afternoon and evening consuming a 24-course meal
of ostentatiously disgusting delicacies.
These can include raw leeks, sheeps' eyeballs, pigs snouts in wasabi sauce, raw
squid and live goldfish that should - ideally - be regurgitated alive.
OTHER TRADITIONS: Banned from the city centre, their infamous garden party on
so-called 'Suicide Sunday' - the last day before exam results are published -
has to be held out of town, where attractions include semi-naked female
'jelly-wrestling' in a paddling pool full of, er, jelly.
If members are in the college bar when the Seventies song Tiger Feet by Mud is
played, tradition stipulates that by the end of the song they must have downed
their drink and removed all their clothing.

More...
Food fights, bar brawls and a naked supermarket dash: Oxbridge students'
drunken antics revealed under the Freedom of Information Act
Guide to dating posh girls at Oxford causes uproar after warning that
upper-class women have so much sex they have 'worked their way through the Eton
rugby team'
'I never read Hansard under the bedclothes. You can still read Jackie and be
interested in politics': Theresa May on becoming an MP and why she could still
be the next Maggie
THE PITT CLUB
FOUNDED: 1835, in honour of Pitt the Younger.
WHO? Still mainly public schoolboys, drawn by its traditions, exclusivity and
old-fashioned club-house in rooms above Pizza Express.
Former members include Edward VII and George V; economist John Maynard Keynes;
spies Guy Burgess and Anthony Blunt; and TV presenter David Frost.

Dotty: A Cambridge University drinking game sees a girl covered in clingfilm
whilst she downs her beverage
DEGREE OF DEPRAVITY: 2:2. Depravity is not encouraged, but vulgar displays of
wealth are. Quattro formaggi pizzas are washed down with magnums of champagne.
Drunkenly propositioning the Pizza Express waitresses at the end of the evening
is almost mandatory.
INITIATION CEREMONY: Having been to the right sort of school; having a
bottomless wallet.
BEEFSTEAK CLUB
WHO? Mainly for young men who wish they could join the Bullingdon but can't
because they're at Cambridge, not Oxford.
DEGREE OF DEPRAVITY: 2:1.
INITIATION CEREMONY: Members are treated to a lavish seven-course dinner, each
dish accompanied with a full bottle of wine.
The meal is served in a room with a tarpaulin covering every surface to avoid
damage to the property.
FERRETZ
WHO? A men's drinking club originally limited to Cambridge rugby players, but
now open to any male university member of an aggressively bibulous disposition.
DEGREE OF DEPRAVITY: First class.
INITIATION CEREMONY: Consuming an initial 80 units of alcohol, beginning with a
bottle of gin and finishing with a bottle of port consumed through a condom.
'You have to bite the condom. If you bite too much and spill the port you have
to do it again.'
OTHER TRADITIONS: Lying under a keg of beer and drinking until you vomit;
stripping naked and covering your private parts in ultra-spicy Dave's Insanity
sauce; drinking tequila from 10am until you drop. Most initiates end up in
hospital or jail.

High-class fun: A party organised by Cambridge's Newnham Nuns, famous for jelly
wrestling and initiations involving eating cream off topless men
GENTLEMEN PATRICIANS
WHO? Gentlemen who love to booze, but aren't necessarily great sportsmen.
(Though cricketer Michael Atherton was reportedly  a member). All-male, Downing
College drinking society.
DEGREE OF DEPRAVITY:  2:1.
INITIATION CEREMONY: Drinking a minimum of eight pints in two hours (known as
the 'eight before eight'.) The more pints downed, the greater the kudos. 'Any
less than 11 is pretty weak.'
OTHER TRADITIONS: No fancy rituals - just more drinking. One member woke to
find himself in France having somehow clambered aboard the Eurostar; another
tried to walk across the roof-tops from Downing College to the town centre.
THE MISFITS
WHO? All-female club founded in the Eighties. 'We are nice young ladies who get
together dressed as schoolgirls for the purpose of dining with the pick of the
university's buffest sportsmen.'
DEGREE OF DEPRAVITY: 2:2.
INITIATION CEREMONY: Only the president is initiated and rituals are
tailor-made by their predecessor. They involve alcohol, a little humiliation
and some degree of skill.
For example, the last initiation was to consume an entire raw cabbage and three
pints of ale within three minutes.'

Not very nun-like: Members of the Newnham Nuns at Newnham college are known to
indulge in to odd jelly wrestling tournament
NEWNHAM NUNS
WHO? Open to girls at Newnham College.
DEGREE OF DEPRAVITY: Third.
INITIATION CEREMONY: Eating liquorice held in a man's teeth - the girl then
kisses him when she reaches his lips. Next, a topless man covered in whipped
cream and chocolate buttons must be cleaned by the girl using her mouth.
Finally, girls must put a condom on a banana, again using only their mouths.
OTHER TRADITIONS: Though probably no more debauched than any other Cambridge
college, Newnham did acquire a reputation when, two years ago, the college
authorities issued a memo urging undergraduates to be more discreet with their
nocturnal activities because the walls were 'very thin'. Also known to indulge
in a spot of jelly-wrestling.

OXFORD
THE BULLINGDON (aka the Buller)
FOUNDED: 1780.
WHO? Plutocrats, aristocrats, would-be world leaders from the richest homes and
finest public schools, desperate for the chance to sport the distinctive £3,500
Bullingdon tailcoat and follow in the footsteps of such alumni as Edward VII,
David Dimbleby, Boris Johnson, George Osborne and David Cameron.
DEGREE OF DEPRAVITY: 2:1. Apart from the two notorious occasions in 1894 and
1927 when its members smashed almost every window in Peckwater Quad, Christ
Church, Buller members are not quite the worst.

Bullers: A picture of the 1993 Bullingdon Club which included Chancellor George
Osborne (far left)
INITIATION CEREMONY: On election to the Buller, an initiate's rooms and
possessions are ritually destroyed by his fellow members.
OTHER TRADITIONS: Members are famously discreet about their antics and are rich
enough to buy - in cash - the silence of those dining establishments they
damage during their riotous evenings.

Wild thing: Hugh Grant at the annual Piers Gaveston Ball in 1983
PIERS GAVESTON
FOUNDED - though they would rather you didn't know it - as recently as 1977.
WHO? Poseurs, homosexuals, pretend homosexuals, exquisites, degenerates. And
also actor Hugh Grant, Rory Stewart MP, banker Nat Rothschild, Tom Parker
Bowles.
Its Latin motto 'Fane non memini ne audisse unum alterum ita dilixisse' roughly
translates as: 'Truly, none remember hearing of a man enjoying another so much.'
DEGREE OF DEPRAVITY: First class on a good day, though some observers have
found its attempts at decadence a little strained and self-conscious.
INITIATION CEREMONY: Named after Edward II's court favourite and lover, the
club organises Bacchanalian parties at grand country mansions fuelled by
champagne, caviar and illegal drugs.
Excess, high camp, ostentatious decadence and public copulation are encouraged.
But in practice only a minority really go for it.
GRIDIRON CLUB
FOUNDED: 1884.
WHO? Public schoolboys, mainly, determined to behave like crusty old men in a
miniature version of a London gentleman's club. Alumni include John Le Carre,
the Marquess of Bath, Polish foreign minister Radek Sikorski and David Cameron
(president in 1987).
DEGREE OF DEPRAVITY: Ordinary (that's what you get if you're too dull even to
pick up a Third).
INITIATION CEREMONY: None. You are put up for membership by a proposer and
seconder (just like in a gentleman's club) and if no one blackballs you, then
you're in. Very civilised.

Leopardskin and chains: Actor Hugh Grant and a female friend dressed up for
debauchery
BEER VEDGE
WHO? Men-only drinking society for members of Christ Church (aka the House; aka
the 'Hice'). Not as smart as Christ Church's poshest drinking society, the
Loder.
DEGREE OF DEPRAVITY: 2:2.
INITIATION CEREMONY: None. The only requirement is to be able to drink five
pints of beer - usually while playing drinking games - followed by five tequila
slammers without vomiting.

Ed Ball's plastic breasts: The future MP, who then liked to be known as Eddie,
admires a friend's plastic chests, left and wearing a Nazi uniform, right
STEAMERS
WHO? A now defunct Keble College drinking club founded by shadow chancellor Ed
Balls.
DEGREE OF DEPRAVITY: 2:2.
INITIATION CEREMONY: Unclear, though there is an incriminating photo of Balls
in Nazi uniform staring at the crotch of a fellow student wearing comedy
plastic buttocks.
PENGUINS
FOUNDED: 2009.
WHO? A male drinking society open to members of Hertford College. Maroon tie
with penguin logo.
DEGREE OF DEPRAVITY: 2:1.
INITIATION CEREMONY: Eating raw squid; running naked round the university
smeared in goose fat. In 2009, 15 members were suspended after private emails
were publicised by a whistleblower.
These contained a 'list of fitties' (the most attractive girls) they planned to
invite to a dinner; a girl's photo with the ungallant message 'Only if we're
desperate'; and the memo: 'Buy condoms.'
MOST READ NEWS
Previous
1
2
3
Next

A chilly reception! Pregnant Kate braves the cold as she...

Smiling and waving in newly released film footage intended...

The town where McDonald's counts as health food: Tamworth is...

'We can only sit and wait': Rescuers forced to halt bid to...

Drunken parties at the seminary. Crushes on young 'pups'....

Shocking disasters of the 20th century: From Hindenburg to...

'He ran away from me frightened and shouted "You're fired"':...

Now that really is six degrees of Kevin Bacon! Hollywood...

Pippa? She's no Delia: Customers boil over on Twitter and...

PICTURED: The grisly photo of smiling son showing off his...

Where HAS Freddie Mercury's 'wife' hidden his ashes? The...

'They leave rubbish mountains taller than I am': Left-wing...

Share this article:
Facebook
Twitter
Google+
Email
Other

Comments (177)
The comments below have not been moderated.
NewestOldestBest ratedWorst rated
 View all
They young people from surper rich, middle class, the poor, the celebrities and
leaders who indulge and allow sexual , drug/alcohol and violence do not believe
in God who is holy and they are raising a nation of Anti-Christ who will turn
everything to ashes. They are not like their elders who believe and fear God
and work hard? They indulge in everything that is evil in God eyes. All their
deed are evil. They need to change and turn to God or they will destroy each
other and ruin everything their forefather had built with their laziness,
parties, bullying, spread vicious rumour, adultery, ruin people life and waste
money. Jesus did say the world is wrong, to live your sinful life a follow him
and copy his way. Jesus is the only one who will take you to heaven because he
die on the cross and he was raise to life so that you who believe, repent and
live a holy life can live in eternity with him in his spiritual kingdom with
God the father. If you refuse you will die in your sins.
- Claire , AUS, 07/9/2012 01:54
Click to rate     Rating   38 Report abuse
If you do not stop spoiling and correct them they will become destroyer not
builder and neglect everything you had all built and teach the next generation
to do the same. The will sell everything to feed their lifestyle and turn
everything to ashes because you did not give a damn to correct them they will
do the same to the beautiful country you had all contributed to build. This
lazy new generation do not build but destroy. They will whinge and gossip to
the media for quick cash, ruin people life, ridicule their elders and the
righteous, live on credit, neglect, steal, lie and waste their and their
bosses, their partners, government and parents money. They will destroy both
their life and everything you had built in the near future. They are turning
everything into ashes. You turn away from God who is holy he turn on you. These
kids are turning everything into a curse not blessing to your hard labour and
throw it into your face. The Bible say you turn away from God he live.
- Claire , AUS, 07/9/2012 00:30
Click to rate     Rating   13 Report abuse
Their forefathers and their Dads had sweet and work hard to get them a better
bright future to day they are so spoil and do not appreciate a thin. This
generation reward them with sexual inmorality, orgies, debauchery, lies, bully,
laziness and violence at a young age when at this age the old generation was
begging for a job and work harder on the field,factory or start a business.
They build road, mansion, palaces, housing, historic building, massive
building, transport, ,tunnel and bridges. Do you think celebrities, the
privilege, the middle class and the poor kids will continue the path of their
father and ancestors when you see everywhere they indulge in the same
inmorality, greed, lie and gossip. They are not tied spending hours on
Facebook, Twitter, video game, on drug/alcohol, wild parties but are tied and
whinge when they work and study. Who is going to take care of everything you
had build when they are chasing easy money and wild party. They will turn
everything to ashes.
- Claire , AUS, 07/9/2012 00:08
Click to rate     Rating   12 Report abuse
Thimbles Norwich - I work as a Russian interpreter (qualified from a
university, no poly for me thanks!) - update for you tho - informed my niece
earlier tonight (she studied at Cambridge and I think in her three years of
study, she may have had a drink once or twice) that a deep sea diver from
Norwich thinks people like her are parasites. We laughed. Now shuffle back to
your hole, sorry, shuffle back to Norwich like a good deep sea diver !?!
- citygirl , manchester uk, United Kingdom, 06/9/2012 23:24
Click to rate     Rating   2 Report abuse
Why all the unnecessary hyphens in the first paragraph?
- MissTLondon , London, United Kingdom, 06/9/2012 23:07
Click to rate     Rating   13 Report abuse
"Wrong citygirl. I had the qualifications but was told I was too old at 24" ,
thimbles, Norwich.................................Too old for what? You can go
to University at any age. I've been to three since my thirties and people go
and do degrees in their seventies and eighties. So what are you talking about?
- kams , UK, United Kingdom, 06/9/2012 21:56
Click to rate     Rating   20 Report abuse
Who needs these drinking clubs when you could spend the cost of a Bullingdon
Tailcoat on three years of booze filled fun and still have change for a take
away at the end of each nights drinking. Happy days now alas gone although I do
miss the Bailey Bar crawl and Cuths bar at Durham.
- Simon , Manchester, 06/9/2012 21:39
Click to rate     Rating   11 Report abuse
You are paying very expensive college for your children to be better or to be
great righteous leaders who will honor and love God instead they turn and
indulge to drug/ alcohol, sexual inmorality, orgies, debauchery, atheism,
adultery, greed, to Become Godless generation. You may have your strength, the
people approval, skill and power but without the one true God who his holy you
are nothing. God has the power to destroy and to bless. God who is a mighty God
of the universe need to be fear, to honor, and praise. This generation indulge
in every sins and reject God . The leaders and parents watch and do nothing
live it to Christians leaders. You are all wrong. The Democrate, and labor are
wrong.
- Claire , AUS, 06/9/2012 20:38
Click to rate     Rating   8 Report abuse
THis is supposed to be "fun"? It is rubbish, decadent and it is scary to know
that some of these foolish people may one day be running the country!!! Role
models, not! Idiots like this take the "Great" of "Britain".
- Angela , Dortmund, 06/9/2012 19:55
Click to rate     Rating   44 Report abuse
We never hear the end of people in government going on about wanting to
encourage kids from state schools into Oxford and Cambridge and making out that
they don't apply because their grades are not good enough. My 17 year old son
is just about to start a mechanical engineering masters degree at Edinburgh
Uni- he is a straight A student who got the highest grades possible at the
local Comprehensive School and when I suggested to him that he should apply for
Oxford or Cambridge, his scathing response was that he did not want to be
anywhere near the kind of revolting over-privileged prats who inhabit these
places. How right he was!
- macauf62 , Edinburgh, 06/9/2012 19:27

from
Vanessa The Google Girl.