[guide.chat] news u k border checks immigrants

  • From: vanessa <qwerty1234567a@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "GUIDE CHAT" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 11:51:41 -0000

New standards for UK border checks
Wednesday, 14 March 2012

Immigration Minister Damian Green has outlined the future of the Border Force

Clear minimum standards for border checks will be brought in after last year's
row exposed staff cutting corners and acting without ministerial approval, the
Immigration Minister has said.
Damian Green said the correct level of checks "for every type of passenger and
all types of goods" would be set out, with guidance making clear that these
could be strengthened in high-risk cases, and setting out the circumstances
where they could be suspended.

But he also blamed the failures which saw hundreds of thousands of people let
into the UK without proper checks last summer on the previous Labour
government. Coalition Government ministers simply inherited a legacy that "left
a lot to be desired", he said.

"We inherited a Border Force that failed to conduct all the checks it should
have done - mothballing expensive new technologies and cutting corners to
manage queues or other pressures," he said.

"A Border Force where communications between staff and managers were unclear,
and where our policy towards key checks was ambiguous or non-existent. This was
completely unacceptable. That's why, when we discovered that there had been an
unauthorised suspension of passenger checks at some ports last summer, action
had to be taken. And action was taken."

Mr Green said they were "much bigger problems than anyone could have imagined",
adding they were "problems kept hidden from ministers in successive
governments".

Speaking at a border security conference at the Royal United Services Institute
(Rusi) in Whitehall, central London, Mr Green said a "new framework of border
security checks" would be brought in, with "clarity about the minimum standard
of checks and the circumstances where checks can be suspended".

"The first step in the process to ensuring the Border Force becomes a fully
effective law enforcement organisation is to introduce a new operating mandate
for the controls it operates at the border," he said.

"The mandate will make sure that we have more control over operations at the
border by clearly setting out the correct level of checks for every type of
passenger and all types of goods that cross the UK border. In both directions."

Wiltshire Police chief constable Brian Moore was appointed as the new head of
the Border Force when it was split from the troubled UK Border Agency (UKBA) at
the start of the month after an official investigation found confusion, poor
record-keeping and ambiguous instructions were rife.

from
Vanessa The Google Girl.
my skype name is rainbowstar123