[guide.chat] jubilee protests

  • From: vanessa <qwerty1234567a@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "GUIDE CHAT" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2012 20:09:05 +0100

Anti-monarchy group 'Republic' stages Jubilee protest on the banks of the Thames
ROB WILLIAMS    SUNDAY 03 JUNE 2012

Julian Baggini: Monarchists are from Mars, republicans are from Venus

Anti-monarchy protesters today staged a demonstration on the banks of the
Thames ahead of the Queen's Diamond Jubilee river pageant.

The protesters, supporters of the campaign group Republic, held banners and
placards saying ?power to the people?, ?citizen not subject?,  and ?democracy
not monarchy? as they called for the abolition of the monarchy.

Republic is campaigning for an elected head of state to replace the monarchy.

They have also called for a new constitution that 'really puts power in the
hands of voters.'

Today's protest involved a delegation from the Swedish republican movement as
well as representatives of Republic from branches in Scotland and Wales.

Speaking today the chief executive of Republic, Graham Smith, said the protest
was held at the same time as the river pageant to ?raise the profile? of the
republican movement.

He said: ?We're opposed to celebrating hereditary privilege and power. The
message is to the millions of people who oppose the monarchy that there is a
movement you can support.

?The whole country isn't in love with the monarchy. It's a minority interest.
We'll keep going until the monarchy is abolished.?

The group faced a hostile response from some of those gathered Thames-side for
the 1000-strong flotilla led by the Queen.

Despite assuring the Metropolitan Police that the protest would be peaceful
this afternoon the protest group appeared to be having difficulties accessing
the river protest site.

A message on the Republic account on the social networking site Twitter this
afternoon stated:

'Literally hundreds being prevented from joining main #jubileeprotest. We're
working with police + security to resolve this.'

Graham Smith said of the protest this afternoon, ?The royals spend most of
their lives shielded from criticism - this protest will give them a rare
glimpse of the strength of republican sentiment in Britain today.

?The hereditary system is offensive to all the democratic values this country
has fought for in the past. The jubilee represents a celebration of everything
we, as republicans, oppose - it is our right and duty to challenge it and
promote the alternative.

?The heightened Palace PR campaign of the last 18 months has already backfired.

?People are sick and tired of being told they must celebrate 60 years of one
very privileged, very remote and very uninspiring head of state. The idea that
the monarchy's future is any safer as a result of the jubilee is completely
laughable.?

from
Vanessa The Google Girl.
my skype name is rainbowstar123