[guide.chat] jonathan chapter two

  • From: vanessa <qwerty1234567a@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "GUIDE CHAT" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 08:00:56 -0000

                                                JONATHAN,
                                                CHAPTER 2

Next morning Jonathan woke feeling warm and contented, though still a little
sleepy.  Drowsily he lay in bed for a while, remembering his dream.  He had
been flying high above town through the clouds, even above them on times.
Beside him flew a dragon - a purple dragon

He smiled, remembering.  Then, as he stretched to get more comfortable, his
foot touched something furry, warm, alive.  Next to him was someone else, he
could hear breathing.  He jumped with fright, but the, remembering the events
of the night before, relaxed again.

He turned his head to look at Barry.  The dragon had his eyes closed, he was
still asleep.  The boy stretched again and moved around, touching the
dragon-leg beneath the quilt and admiring the magnificent tail resting on the
floor, too big and long to fit into the bed.

So it was true, he really had a dragon.  Jonathan settled back into his warm
bed, snuggling into the soft fur of his new friend.  And Barry put a furry arm
around his shoulders, holding him close.

It was bliss.  I could stay like this forever, the boy thought, and for a long
time he did just that, feeling safe and happy - blissful.  But even bliss gets
boring after long enough, especially for little boys.  Eventually Jonathan
started fidgeting, he wanted to do things.  He sat up, nudged Barry and
whispered, not too quietly: "Barry, are you awake?"

"Now, I am awake.  Good morning, Jonathan."  Opening his eyes, the dragon
smiled at the child.  He was so close, Jonathan could feel the furry body next
to him stretching - stretching so much, the dragon's tail almost reached the
door.

Jonathan stretched again too.  Then he yawned, and as his new friend yawned
too, they looked at each other and smiled.  It was so great to have a dragon.
They would have lots of fun together.

He heard footsteps on the stairs now, and whispered:  "quick Barry, hide under
the quilt.  Auntie Jean is coming to wake me for school."

"No need to hide," the dragon said. "Remember, I am invisible to others, no one
but you can see me.  And," he continued in his normal voice, "Neither can they
hear me."

The footsteps stopped, the door opened slowly, and Auntie Jean walked into the
room.

"Good morning Jonathan. "  She smiled at the boy.  "I see you are awake
already.  It's time to get up for school."

But Jonathan was not ready to think about school yet.  "Auntie Jean," he said,
remembering it was o.k. to talk about Barry, and wanting to test it out.  "I
have a friend now.  He is a dragon.  Can he come down with me for breakfast?"

Auntie Jean looked puzzled.  "Did you say he is a dragon?" she asked, wrinkling
her forehead.

Jonathan nodded.  "His name is Barry.  He said I can tell you all about him, I
needn't keep him a secret."

The wrinkles on Auntie Jean's face disappeared, and her smile came back.
"Where is he now?" she asked, looking around the room as if she wanted to join
in a game.  Jonathan ignored her looks, realising she did not believe him.  But
then, she could not know that Barry was really here.  Only Jonathan could see
him.  In spite of all this, or even because of it, he enjoyed telling her about
the dragon.

"My dragon is sitting on the bed.  But you can't see him because he is
invisible to everyone but me.  He will stay here with me. And when I go to
school I can take him with me, in a match-box."  Jonathan said it all in one
breath, without stopping.

He looked up at Auntie Jean and asked.  "Could you find a match-box for me
please?  I want my dragon to be comfortable and like it here, so he will stay
forever."

Auntie Jean was very surprised, and not just about the dragon fitting into a
matchbox.  She was much more astonished about Jonathan, and the way he had
changed.  Suddenly he talked, fast, and so much.  And he was smiling.  The boy
had hardly talked since coming to live with them, just answered briefly when he
was asked something.  And he had always been far too serious, not once before
had she heard him laugh.  But now he was smiling and talking, looking up at
Auntie Jean as he asked her again: "Please, Auntie Jean, can Barry stay?"

She needed to sit down, so surprised was she by this change in Jonathan.  She
was very pleased, because she had grown to like him, and had been worried.
Walking over to the bed to sit down, Auntie Jean forgot about the dragon, and
Barry had to move quickly, or she would have sat on his lap.  Jonathan giggled.
 Auntie Jean did not know why he laughed, but she was so glad the boy seemed
happier at long last, she laughed too.  Barry also grinned, and winked with one
large dragon eye at Jonathan, before walking across the room, to jump on top of
the white chest of drawers.  There he sat - out of Auntie Jean's way - legs
crossed, curling his tail around himself.

Auntie Jean sat close to Jonathan, smoothing his hair back from his forehead.
It felt good, and Jonathan did not move away, as he had always done before.  He
did not even turn his head away.  She is quite nice, he thought with surprise.
Perhaps one day he might even like her - if he should be here long enough.  He
looked across to Barry, who nodded with his head.  The dragon always seemed to
know exactly what Jonathan was thinking.  He loved his dragon.

"Can I keep him, Auntie Jean?" he asked again.  "Barry is very nice."

"I believe he is," she agreed.  "Of course your friend can stay.  But hurry now
and get dressed.  Don't be long for breakfast."  Once more she stroked
Jonathan's hair before she left.

"I like your Auntie Jean," the dragon said.

"I suppose she is all right, now I am getting to know her better," Jonathan
agreed grudgingly.  But he was still not sure about anything to do with Auntie
Jean and all her family, because of the way he had come to be here.

"When I first came, I did not like her," he told his new friend.  He had to
stop talking then, because he thought of his mother.  He missed her.  But he
could not talk about her - not even to Barry.  It hurt too much to talk about
some things.

The dragon left his place on top of the chest of drawers, sat down beside
Jonathan, and put his furry dragon-hand on the child's arm.  The boy sighed
deeply, sat up and cuddled into Barry.  Instantly he felt better, and as the
dragon put an arm around his shoulders, he felt better still.  For a while they
sat in silence, and then Barry began to talk.

"You could come to love your Auntie Jean, you know, and still love your Mum and
your Dad, and many other people too," he suggested.

But Jonathan did not want to think about any of this - at least not now - so he
stood up and became very busy with his clothes suddenly, sorting everything out
for school.

Then he went to the bathroom to wash and brush his teeth.  When he returned,
the dragon was once more sitting on the chest of drawers, legs crossed, his
tail curled around himself, just as he had been earlier.

"Don't you wash and brush your teeth?" Jonathan looked at Barry, who had two
rows of large, sparkling white teeth in his dragon mouth.

"I do not need to," Barry answered.  "After all, I could be anyone or anything.
 I chose to be a dragon, but it is only a form, an outer appearance."

Jonathan thought this was a poor excuse, and told his friend so without any
inhibitions.  "Everyone needs to wash and brush their teeth," he ended his
speech firmly.  "Come, and I'll show you."  He took Barry's hand and led him to
the bathroom.  There he stayed, to make sure the dragon washed properly and
took care of his teeth.

At first he showed his friend how to use the shower, and brought him a big
towel to dry himself properly.  But when it came to brush the dragon's teeth
they had a problem.  All the tooth brushes belonged to someone.  There was
Jonathan's purple tooth brush, still nearly new.  The red tooth brush next to
it belonged to Auntie Jean, the blue one to Uncle Jim.  There was also a tiny
pink tooth brush for Samantha.  She was only one year old, and Auntie Jean's
own little girl.  A nuisance at times, she always wanted to be with Jonathan
and doing the same things that he did, toddling after him and grabbing his
toys, even his school books.

Bringing his attention back to the problem at hand, Jonathan looked at the row
of tooth brushes again.  Obviously, there was not one to spare.  Suddenly an
idea came to him.

"Your tail, Barry" he said.  "We'll use you tail.  The end is like a brush."

The dragon had grave doubts this idea was practical.  Besides, he did not like
to use his splendid tail in this mundane manner.  Curling it round, he brought
the tip up to his face for closer inspection.  The boy was right, the fur was
short here, and rather bristly.

Pleased to know something better than his wise friend, Jonathan held the
dragon's tail under the cold water tap, and squeezed toothpaste on it.

"Now brush your teeth," he ordered firmly.

Barry sighed, looked doubtfully into the mirror at his teeth, then down at his
tail-end with toothpaste on, still firmly held by Jonathan.  Reluctantly he
took his tail into his own paw, and sighed again.  "I am still not sure that
dragons brush their teeth.  Where I come from -."

"Not now," Jonathan interrupted him.  "Tell me another time, or we'll be late
for school.  Just brush your teeth."

"Perhaps you are right," reluctantly the dragon agreed.  "Now that I am part of
your world and part of this household, I must live in accordance to the rules
applicable here."

So, his decision made, he brushed his teeth vigorously, just as Jonathan had
shown him, then rinsed his mouth and finally washed the toothpaste from his
tail.  Looking into the mirror at his brightly sparkling teeth, the dragon
smiled approvingly.  Jonathan smiled too.  But then his smile turned into
laughter because the dragon looked funny, with tufts of wet fur standing up in
all directions.

"You are still wet," he said, patting Barry with the towel.  But the thick fur
resisted, and would not be smoothed down, especially on the tail.

Barry brought his tail end up to look at it again.  "You are right," he agreed
and frowned as if considering a serious problem.  Then a smile lit his face,
obviously he had found the right solution.

"For a dragon with fire within, it's easy to get dry, "he told the boy.  "Step
back, I shall get hot.  But have no fear; you are always safe with me."

His fur grew brighter, as the dragon began to glow.  Jonathan could feel hot
waves coming from his friend and started to worry, but when Barry winked
reassuringly with one large eye at him, he relaxed.  Eventually, the golden
glow faded gradually as the dragon cooled down and became his normal self
again.  Jonathan touched his tail.  It felt completely dry and quite hot.  But
on some places the fur was still sticking up, just like Jonathan's own hair in
the morning, before he brushed it.

"Your hair sticks up. "  He laughed.  "And there are crinkles in your tail."

"No problem for a dragon," answered Barry.  "Just watch."

He took a deep breath, his nostrils vibrating as they expanded.  Then he
breathed out, and a jet of warm air emerged from his mouth and nose, smoothing
his fur.

"Just like a hair dryer," Jonathan said admiringly.  "Will you do that for me
too, when I wash my hair?"

"With pleasure," answered Barry.  "Any time."
from
Vanessa The Google Girl.
my skype name is rainbowstar123