[guide.chat] jonathan chapter nine

  • From: vanessa <qwerty1234567a@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "GUIDE CHAT" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 08:08:40 -0000

                                JONATHAN
                                CHAPTER 9
Out in the open once again, the boy breathed deeply, enjoying the fresh
mountain air.  He looked up to the dark sky, with its moon and millions of
stars.  It was night - but which night?  How long had they been gone?
Suddenly Jonathan became very uneasy.
"How long have we been away, Barry?" he asked his friend.  "So much has
happened.  It must be days.  What will Auntie Jean think?  What will she say
when we get back?  And what about Uncle Jim - what will he do?"
The dragon pulled him close.  "As you know, this mountain is a place of magic.
Time has no meaning here, it does not exist.  You could say we are out of time.
 Although the way home is long, we shall arrive on the same day we have left -
although it could be late.  Your foster parents will be aware that you have
been away, but only for some hours by their time.  They will be very happy that
you are safely home again."
If that is so, Jonathan thought, they need not hurry.  There would be time for
just one more important thing.  Before he left, he wanted to stand on the
summit once more.  Barry agreed, and so they climbed right up to the highest
peak of this mighty mountain.
Once again, Jonathan stood on the summit, right on the very top of this
majestic mountain.  But this time he felt different, he felt proud and strong.
He had climbed a vertical rock-face, learnt to swim, and met Malora, the mighty
guardian of a mysterious cave hidden deeply within the tallest mountain range.
As if this was not enough, he also made new friends belonging to other worlds,
where he could visit one day.  And apart from all those marvellous
achievements, he, Jonathan, was the owner of a magic crystal, home to a
powerful spirit.
But the most difficult task had been to look into the mirror-wall, right to the
end.  It had tested his courage most, but he had done it.  And now he stood on
the highest mountain peak of all - Jonathan the boy - a winner all round - and
a victor.
Stepping out of his bubble, he watched it float away.  Now he was ready to face
whatever lay ahead of him.  Looking up at the dark night-sky, Jonathan spread
his arms wide out like wings, and flew without fear, joy and peace in his
heart. The dragon followed him of course.
The wind took them, and Jonathan and Barry flew over mountain ranges, and hills
and woods, and finally the sea.  It was dark and misty.  All the boy could see
below were black shapes, and sometimes distant lights from faraway towns and
cities.  Above were only sky, the moon and stars, and occasionally a cloud.
As Jonathan grew tired Barry took him in his arms and carried him.  Warm and
comfortable, he went to sleep, and did not wake until they landed on the field
where he had played football with Uncle Jim, not all that long ago.  But now it
seemed as if an eternity had passed, so much had happened since.
But not so much had happened here at home.  His foster parents only knew the
boy had run away, some hours ago.  They were upset and very worried.  Uncle Jim
had even called the police to send men out to look for him; bad things could
happen to a child, out alone at night.
But Jonathan was not alone.  Even now, going up to the garden gate, he held the
dragon's hand - who was invisible again, of course.
His foster parents ran towards the boy, and Uncle Jim picked him, holding him
tight.  Auntie Jean hugged him too, and kissed him.  Then Jonathan was told off
for running away - but only briefly - they were so glad to have him safely
back.  In between telling him off, they smiled and hugged him again.  Auntie
Jean cried a little, kissed Jonathan once more, and told him again how happy
she was to have him back.  It would all work out, she said, and he would see.
They both, she and Uncle Jim, would make sure of it.
Then she asked Jonathan where he had been.  They had worried about him, and
looked for him; even the police had not been able to find him.  He'd been out
half the night - and all alone.
Jonathan tried to explain his dragon had been with him all the time.  And what
was more: Barry was still here now.  He even told them how his friend had
helped him to climb the rock-face of a giant mountain.  But it was obvious from
their faces; his foster parents did not believe him.  Jonathan looked at Barry,
who just grinned, shrugging his shoulders and winking with one eye at Jonathan,
as if to say: did I not tell you?  The boy winked back, and grinned too.  It
was a broad grin, turning into laughter, when his foster parents joined in -
though they did not really know why they were laughing.
After they had all calmed down again, Auntie Jean made sandwiches, and warmed
the chicken-soup she had kept ready.  But Jonathan could not eat much, he was
too tired.  He could think of nothing, but sleep.  His eye-lids drooped; he
yawned, and was almost asleep as Uncle Jim carried him up to bed.
Next morning when he woke, Jonathan wondered if all the fantastic adventures
could really have happened the way he remembered them.  He turned around,
lifting himself on to an elbow, and looked at Barry.  The dragon opened his
eyes and just smiled at him, yet suddenly the boy knew it really had all
happened, it was all perfectly true.
He heard footsteps now, the door opened slowly and Auntie Jean's face appeared
in the open gap, looking if Jonathan was awake.  When he smiled at her, she
came in and sat down on his bed, almost squashing Barry, who jumped out of the
way fast.  Sitting safely out of reach on his favourite place on top of the
chest of drawers, he winked at Jonathan.
The boy winked back, and smiled at Auntie Jean.  I'll say it now, he decided.
"I'm very sorry, Auntie Jean, for breaking the vase and running away.  I won't
do it again.  From now on, I'll save my pocket money to buy you another vase."
"It's all right Jonathan," she said gently, her eyes full of love and
understanding.  "I can imagine how difficult all this must be for you.  But if
we try, between us, I'm sure we'll sort things out, and get them right.  And if
you really don't want to see your Mum, we'll talk with Mary.  She'll have to
understand."
But Jonathan shook his head.  "I've thought about it all, and changed my mind.
I do want to see my mother - the seaside can wait.  I love my Mum, and want to
keep on seeing her."
He gave Auntie Jean a smile - a broad, special smile, right from his heart, as
he said:  "I know now, I can love my Mum, and you and Uncle Jim - and everyone."
There was a moist glitter in Auntie Jean's eyes, but Jonathan could not be
sure, because she bent down to hug and kiss him.  And this time he did not turn
away.  Putting his arms around her neck, he hugged her tight.
And then he looked at Barry, who smiled, and winked at him approvingly with one
large dragon eye.
Auntie Jean had left him sleep on this morning, so it was late when Jonathan
arrived at the breakfast-table.  His foster-parents had waited with their
breakfast, only Samantha was already eating her egg.
The chair for Barry stood also at the table.  Jonathan was pleased Auntie Jean
had remembered, even though she did not believe Barry was real.  But it showed
she did consider him, and cared what he thought and wanted.  Everything would
turn out all right, the boy was certain now.  Just to be doubly sure - and for
luck - he put his hand in his pocket, to touch his magic crystal.
"Do you know what we thought, Jonathan," said Auntie Jean just then.  But she
did not continue, instead she looked at Uncle Jim and said:  "It was his idea.
Go on, Jim, you tell the boy."
Uncle Jim put his tea-cup down and looked at Jonathan.  "We thought it might be
nice to celebrate Samantha's birthday at the seaside, where we were last time.
We could spend the morning on the beach, and later have a party at McDonalds.
They make good parties, I've already enquired.  A friend of mine would lend me
his mini bus; it's big enough for all the guests.  What do you think about it,
my boy?  You could invite someone too."
Jonathan held his magic stone more tightly.  Uncle Jim had asked him what he
thought about going to the beach!  And he could invite someone!  This stone
really had great power indeed.  Of course he wanted to go to the beach.  But he
needed to think about who to invite.  Perhaps he could ask Martin, the boy from
his new school.  Or one of his old friends - perhaps even two.  Or should he
ask his cousin?  He liked him very much, and had not seen him for a long time.
Jonathan stood up and went over to Uncle Jim.  He wanted to say thank you, but
as Uncle Jim opened his arms, he just hugged him.  Now he did not need to say
anything at all.  Everything was really o.k. now.  The boy looked at his
foster-father, who wiped his eyes with a large hanky, although he was smiling.
Then Jonathan's eyes met those of his friend Barry, who seemed to say: 'now, do
you see?'
Suddenly it was quiet in the room, and for a while no one made a sound - even
Samantha remained silent - until she suddenly pointed with one small finger at
Barry.  "Do-dog," she said.  Auntie Jean took a small toy-dog from the shelf,
and gave it to her.  Samantha threw it to the floor.  "Dog," she said again,
this time louder, as she tried to reach the empty chair next to her.  Her
parents laughed, but Jonathan knew she wanted to get closer to the dragon.
Barry held his hand out to the little girl, who took it, happy now.  Over her
head, the dragon smiled at Jonathan, and winked with one large dragon eye.
Jonathan winked back, smiling happily.  He loved his dragon.

from
Vanessa The Google Girl.
my skype name is rainbowstar123