[guide.chat] jonathan chapter five

  • From: vanessa <qwerty1234567a@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "GUIDE CHAT" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 08:04:19 -0000

                                                         JONATHAN
                                                         CHAPTER 5
Jonathan found it hard to believe afterwards, but the day at the beach turned
out marvellous.  Everyone really enjoyed themselves and Jonathan had lots of
fun.  They started early in the morning travelling in Uncle Jim's car, the
children sitting in the back with Barry squashed between them.  He was his
usual size, but invisible of course.  Yet Samantha seemed to know about his
presence, she smiled frequently for no apparent reason, stroking his fur.
Jonathan worried about going to the beach.  He did not know how he would feel
and react when he saw the waves.  But in spite of his apprehension he also
looked forward to it all, remembering how much he'd loved the water when he had
been a duck.
Perhaps he would go in after all, but only a little way.  Just to paddle, to
feel the water on his feet, and the wet sand.  The trouble was, he did not know
if he liked water now as a boy, or not.
Arriving on the beach, they settled near a rocky outcrop in the sand, with
rock-pools and large puddles close by - like little ponds, they were.  Jonathan
relaxed and started to explore.  The adults left him to it, and although the
sea was quite close by, no one told him to go in.
He started playing in the sand, and later, together with Uncle Jim, he built a
magnificent sandcastle.  But it was difficult to keep Samantha from joining in
and destroying it, and eventually she did manage to jump on top.  So Jonathan
left her there with the remains, and made a dam across a stream nearby.  Then
he collected shells, and, looking into a rock-pool for fish, he found a tiny
crab.  Picking it up carefully with one finger and his thumb he showed it to
Barry, who sat on a large flat stone with his feet and tail-end in a deep
puddle.  Jonathan filled his bucket with water and laid the crab inside to show
it to Samantha and her parents.  They were impressed, and after the crab had
been sufficiently admired, Jonathan put it back into its rock-pool.  It darted
away instantly, to hide beneath a bunch of seaweed covering a large stone.
Then, ready to test himself, he decided to paddle in the sea.  Uncle Jim
offered to come with him, but the boy shook his head.  Pretending to go alone,
he went with Barry.
Holding the dragon's hand he walked into the sea, just a little way, watching
the seagulls swoop down the cliffs and over the water.  They were his friends
now, just like Barry, who was his best friend of them all.  The water came up
to his knees and sometimes a wave splashed even higher, but to his own surprise
Jonathan was not in the least afraid.  He found he liked the sea; he enjoyed
the way the waves pushed against his legs, even the sand under his feet felt
good.  It was so wet and alive, moving with the swell of each wave.
The day went on, and Jonathan enjoyed every minute.  He went into the water
several times, but just to paddle.  Later, when it got very hot, Uncle Jim went
for a swim.  Auntie Jean just paddled, and Samantha too, holding her mother's
hand and stamping her tiny feet, to make the shallow water splash.
The dragon went into the water too.  Jonathan watched him floating on his back
before turning suddenly and diving down.  He almost disappeared, only his tail
stuck out.
When Barry came out again, they sat at the water's edge, watching the waves go
in and out, lapping their toes.  It was nice to sit like that, kind of
peaceful.  With his finger the boy traced their names in the sand: Jonathan and
Barry, and watched as the incoming tide washed it away again.
The tide came in fast now; small waves were flowing over Jonathan's legs and
hips, almost lifting him.  But he was not afraid - in fact, he felt quite
brave.  Closing his eyes, he held his nose with finger and thumb and put his
face into the water, although he was a little apprehensive of what might
happen.  But nothing did, except a salty taste remained on his lips.
Uncle Jim came over to make sure Jonathan was safe.  He cautioned him not to go
in too far.  "When you can swim, you can go in further, but not 'til then."
Watching Jonathan playing in the water, he had to smile.  "If you like, I'll
teach you to swim," he offered.  "We can go to the pool at the leisure centre.
It's easier to learn swimming without the waves."
The day continued pleasantly.  For lunch they had sandwiches, apples, crisps
and pop, then Jonathan went with Uncle Jim to buy ice-cream for them all.  A
lovely afternoon followed and later, on the way home, they stopped for fish and
chips.  His tummy full, Jonathan fell asleep in the car, leaning comfortably
against the dragon.
At home again, he and the dragon showered to get rid of the sand, then Barry
dried himself and Jonathan's hair with several fire-breaths.  Soon it was
supper time.
"Thank you very much for taking me to the seaside," Jonathan said politely to
his foster parents after they all had eaten.  "And for buying me the bucket and
the spade.  It's been a lovely day."
"We all enjoyed it," Auntie Jean agreed.  "We'll do it again, quite soon."
"Can we go next week, on Saturday or Sunday?"  He asked.  "Please Auntie Jean."
"Perhaps we can," she said, but hesitated then and reconsidered.  "Well - no,
perhaps not next week, Jonathan."
She was sure, there was something else they had already planned.  Suddenly she
remembered.
"I think it is next Saturday you see your Mum, remember Jonathan?  Mary, your
social worker, told us, remember?  So Saturday is out.  And on Sunday is
Samantha's birthday party.  Her grandparents are coming and her uncles, and
Auntie Vera with the children.  They are Samantha's cousins, you know."
For a moment Auntie Jean was silent, looking thoughtfully at the child, before
adding: "You are a big boy now, Jonathan, you can understand that going to the
beach must wait."
But he did not understand, and did not want to, either.  He was so angry
suddenly, that he felt sick.  Even his head hurt and he had all sorts of
terrible feelings he could not understand.  He was hurt - so hurt and angry.
Only today he had begun to like Auntie Jean - perhaps he even trusted her.  It
was the first time ever, he had asked her for something important.
But obviously she did not care what he wanted.  Even the social worker was more
important than him.  To her it made no difference, what he, Jonathan, wanted,
and how he felt.  He was just a foster child.  All she could think of was
Samantha and her stupid relatives.  She did not care about Jonathan at all.  He
had relatives too - two uncles and an aunt - and cousins too.  They were not
invited.  And what about his father?  No one ever mentioned him at all.  As for
his mother - Jonathan was not even sure he wanted to see her at all - never
mind next week.  If she had loved him, he would not be in this mess, but home
with her.  She would have come and got him long ago, and then he would not have
to be a foster child.  He hated being one.  And he hated it here, where no one
cared how he felt, or what he wanted.
Nobody had asked him, if he wanted to see his mother on Saturday.  No one asked
his opinion about anything, because no one cared.  Certainly not Auntie Jean.
Why should she?  She had Samantha, her own child, that's all she cared about -
not him - who was no relative at all, only a foster child.
And if Auntie Jean did not love him, neither did Uncle Jim, who just stood
there, and had not said one word.  Jonathan was so angry and upset, he shouted:
 "I shan't see Mum.  And you can't make me.  I hate her.  And I hate you.  I
hate you all."
He took the vase full of flowers standing on the table next to him.  He would
show them.  Auntie Jean loved this vase - it was a Christmas present from Uncle
Jim, who had told Jonathan not to touch it, as it was made from crystal and
very valuable.  Good, the boy thought, serves them right, as he lifted the vase
high over his head and threw it hard across the room - narrowly missing
Samantha, who began to cry as the vase flew past her, hitting the fireplace and
breaking into pieces.  Water soaked the carpet and the flowers fell all over
everything.
Samantha kept screaming, and Auntie Jean picked her up, looking reproachfully
at the boy.  But she said nothing.
Uncle Jim was furious.  He came up to Jonathan:  "Now look here, my boy," he
started, but Jonathan would not look, or listen.  He turned away so no one saw
his tears, pushed past Uncle Jim and run from the room, slamming the door.
Upstairs in his room he slammed this door as well, to shut them out.  Then he
threw himself on the bed, crying bitterly.
Sometime later, he became aware of the dragon next to him.  But right now
Jonathan wanted no one, because no one understood how he felt.  But as he
looked at Barry, he saw love and understanding in his eyes.  And as the dragon
said: "You know I care," he flung himself into his arms, crying so hard as if
he would never stop.  Barry held him close, stroking his hair, and gradually
the tears stopped on their own accord.
"I'm not a cry-baby," Jonathan watched the dragon's face, to see what he
thought of him now.
But Barry only smiled gently.  "Don't be afraid to cry, Jonathan,"  he said.
"Crying is good, it releases bad stuff within you, it lets it out, it's good
for you.  Hurtful feelings are better out than in.  Talking can also help to
let those feelings go."
But Jonathan did not want to talk, and even had he wanted to, he did not know
how to begin, or how to say what troubled him the most.  His thoughts and
feelings were so jumbled up, he could not understand them.  It was impossible
to put into words what he felt.  He did not even know how all this mess had
come about.  Was everything so terrible, just because of today, because of
Auntie Jean?  Or was there more to it?  Did it all go back, a long time even?
Were the reasons why he felt so bad somewhere else to find, in other things, in
events from long ago?
The boy stood up, walked over to the window and looked out.  He tried to think.
 Nothing made sense, not anymore.  Once, it had been so different.  But then
his Dad had left.  Jonathan still did not know why he went.  Was it his fault?
Was he the cause that everything went wrong?  His Mum had said he was a naughty
child when he was small.
After Dad left, his Mum took him to live with Gran.  But then his Granny died -
quite suddenly she was gone.  Jonathan could still not understand even now how
she could die and leave him.
Although they remained at Granny's house, things were different.  Before she
died, his Granny had always been with him when Mum went out.  But after her
death, he was alone so much.
Even when Mum stayed home it was not always good.  She shouted at him often,
and cried a lot.  But there were good times too, when she had held him close,
and kissed him, saying he was her own big boy and she could never manage
without him.
And now - what was she doing now?  Obviously she managed fine without him now.
Jonathan remembered the most terrible day, the day he had been taken from his
home.  He'd never forget that day.  It was Mary who had brought him to Auntie
Jean.  She said, she'd help him sort things out with Mum.  But could he trust
her?  After all, it had been Mary who took him away from home against his
wishes, she had not cared what he said, and brought him here.
He had to wait two days to see his mother.  Then Mary took him home, but only
for a visit.  Everything was different, especially Mum.  She asked him
questions and he answered, but he could not really talk with her.  And when he
wanted to stay at home, his mother said perhaps soon, and started crying.  He
cried too, then Mary took him back to Auntie Jean.
Since that day Jonathan was convinced his mother did not love him, and he
decided not to love her either anymore.  And neither would he love Auntie Jean
or Uncle Jim, as he had nearly done today.  Never again would he let anyone
come close - he would not be hurt like that again - not ever.
He hated all of them - especially Auntie Jean.  And he was glad he broke her
rotten vase.  Now she would no longer want him here, and he could leave.
The boy turned away from the window.  Looking at the dragon, he said:  "I know
what I shall do: I'll run away, and show them all.  I live alone, deep in a
wood - I don't need anyone."
The dragon tried to tell him that his foster parents did care, and that they
wanted him to stay with them.  But the boy would not listen.  And when Barry
said they'd be very upset if he run away, Jonathan just said:  "Good.  Serves
them right."
Even when the dragon told him that children could not live alone, and the
police would search for him, he had his answer ready.  "I don't care," he just
said.  "They'll never find me.  I'll be too far away, deep in a forest, living
all alone with only animals as my friends.  I can eat berries, roots and
mushrooms."
Then, looking at Barry, he added:  "You don't have to come, if you don't want
to."
Jonathan wanted the dragon to come very much indeed, but could not tell him.
Right now, he was not even sure of Barry anymore.  But then he looked into the
dragon's eyes - green-blue eyes, the same colour as the sea, with golden specks
of light around each deep dark pupil.  It seemed to Jonathan - just for an
instant - that he was moving right into a dark inviting fastness.  Quickly he
shook his head, refusing to imagine things.  But something must have changed,
because Jonathan knew suddenly, the dragon would come with him wherever he
went.  And he was absolutely certain, that Barry loved him, no matter what.
His friend would never let him down and really always be here for him, just as
he'd wished.
He started to pack.  Getting his sports-bag, he put spare clothes in and an
extra jacket - it might be cold at night.  Looking around in case he had
forgotten something, Jonathan noticed the pebble on his bedside table.  It was
the stone he brought back from the lake.
He picked it up and held it in his hand.  For a stone, it felt unusually warm.
Perhaps it was a magic stone - it could easily be magic, because he found it as
a super-bird, diving in the lake.  The whole adventure had been magic - pure
wizardry.
Perhaps I need not run away, he thought, but fly away, and fast.
"Please Barry, can we fly away and not come back?" he asked his friend.
The dragon did not answer immediately.  The strange, faraway look was in his
eyes again.  He seemed to consider something of importance, because he stroked
his eyebrow, and then his chin.  And when he turned to Jonathan, he looked very
serious indeed.
"Running away from problems rarely helps, for they remain and stay with us," he
finally replied.  "To resolve them, they must be faced.  However, it is
acceptable on times, to turn one's back - just for a while.  Having time and
space - a place where there is peace, no pressure from anyone - it all can
help.  Especially with someone like me around."
All seriousness suddenly gone, the dragon smiled, a twinkle in his eye.  "Yes,
Jonathan, we fly," he agreed  "But I must caution you.  It's possible, you may
decide to return here, after all."
The boy was certain he would not return - at least not voluntarily - but he did
not want to argue with Barry just now.  All he wanted was to get away, and
fast.  Later could take care of itself.  He was excited now.  They were going
to fly again.  It would be a great adventure.
"Where do you wish to go, Jonathan?" Barry disrupted his thoughts.
So far, he had not considered this, but Jonathan did not care as long as it was
fast.  "Just far away," was all he could say.  "Where there are forests and
high mountains."
"If you agree, we shall journey to a very special mountain, far away.  This
mountain is extremely high and so remote, no one else knows how to reach it."
The dragon stopped, and smiled briefly at something he remembered, far in the
past.
"I must admit, there have been some exceptions, though not of human origin," he
said eventually, turning his attention back to Jonathan.  "However, one thing
is certain.  Once there, your problems will look very different, you see them
as they really are.  Within this mountain lies a cave with special powers.  It
can reflect your thoughts and feelings, even the past, and those who know how
to look, can see what is important in their lives."
But Jonathan had stopped listening long ago.  He was impatient to get away, and
as quickly as possible.  "Let's just go, Barry - please," he said.  He could
wait no longer.
So they lay down on the bed, intending to enter the tunnel of light.  But
Jonathan could not concentrate, he could not even keep still.  He fidgeted and
moved, far too excited now, and still upset as well.  He could not listen to
the dragon's words, or visualise anything.  It was no use, he could not do it.
But he had to do something, and do it now.  The boy sat up  "Can we fly away as
birds?" he asked his friend.  "As super-birds?"
"If you would like to," the dragon agreed readily.  "But even then, you must
concentrate, and think of what you want to be."
Jonathan made a huge effort, and pushed everything out of his mind except what
he wanted to be.  At first he imagined an eagle flying high up over the clouds
- a brave and mighty eagle; afraid of nothing.  Then he visualized a seagull
together with other gulls.  And as he thought of a duck, he felt his head go
funny and his body expanding, and - without any further effort on his part -
Jonathan was moving, floating, turning ever faster, just like a spinning ball.
He looked into the mirror and saw two golden spheres floating through the air,
rotating faster and ever faster.
Their colour changed and darkened, their movement gradually slowed and finally
stopped.  The two spheres settled on the floor.  Wings pushed through and out
from somewhere inside, and feet and legs, and then a noble eagle head appeared
on each bird-like being.  Both birds moved around and stretched, soon they were
ready to fly.  Jonathan heard himself give a little squawk as he hopped on to
the window sill.  He wanted to be off quickly, because he heard footsteps on
the stairs.  It must be Auntie Jean.
The window stood wide open and both birds flew out, soaring high up into the
sky.
Flying is so wonderful, thought Jonathan.  All his bad feelings were forgotten,
as he flew as high as he dared to go.  His body remembered how to fly as he
swooped high and low again, over tall trees and houses, right up to the clouds.
 Looking down, he saw small houses and toy-like cars, and as they reached the
countryside he watched a herd of miniature cattle grazing peacefully, and later
he saw lots of tiny sheep.
The two super-birds flew on.  Above them was only sky and an occasional cloud,
sometimes a plane flew by, and once a helicopter reminding Jonathan of a giant
bumblebee.  "Don't fly too near," Barry warned him, "it could be dangerous.
They met other birds, exchanged friendly greetings and went on.  When Jonathan
got tired, they rested in the branches of a giant oak.  Several other birds
were already sitting in this tree - crows, Barry said.  The two newcomers
greeted them politely, but the other birds barely nodded and flew off, though
there was plenty of room in this mighty oak.  Perhaps these crows were
frightened, thought Jonathan, because he and Barry looked so different from any
other bird around, having the eagle's proud and haughty looks and his
dangerous-looking beak.  And they were big - especially Barry.
After resting for a while, Jonathan realised how hungry he was.  Looking
around, he spotted an orchard with cherry trees.  The fruit looked ripe, so
they flew over and settled for a happy feast, sharing the sweet juicy cherries
with three friendly blackbirds.
Soon they flew on again - high above towns and woods and hills.  Jonathan got
very tired, and he was glad when Barry said:  "Come close to me, rest under my
wing.  I'll carry you."
He flew up to Barry, and both stopped in mid-air.  The dragon-bird folded him
gently under his wing, close to his feathery chest.  Jonathan was comfortable
resting there, sticking his head out of his warm nest now and again, to see
where they were going.
He was so comfortable, he fell asleep.  When he woke and looked down, all he
could see was water - an endless stretch of grey water with big waves.  Barry
said they were over the sea.  They saw boats, then a big ship came into view.
Jonathan wanted to observe it closer, and decided to fly again himself.  As
Barry opened his wing, the boy thought for an instant he might fall.  Then his
own wings opened, and he sailed as if he had been born to it, just like a real
bird.
The two super-birds swooped low, watching the giant waves around the ship and
the people milling around deck.  A group of seagulls also followed the ship,
but soon turned back.  Of all the birds, only Barry and Jonathan went on.
Always there was something new and interesting to see, a big whale once, and
later a group of dolphins, jumping into the air, just for sheer fun.
It took a long time until Jonathan and Barry finally reached the shore.  Still
they flew on, over grassy dunes, fields, woodland and hills.  Gradually, the
hills became mountains, and even they grew higher still.  No trees grew
anymore, just small withered firs crept low along the ground, like bushes.  But
as the mountains kept on getting bigger, taller, even those firs could not grow
anymore.  Now, between the peaks and rocks lay meadows, alive with insects,
buzzing around beautiful flowers.  Jonathan saw small patches of deep blue
dotted here and there, and bright pink blooms, spreading themselves as far as
they could go, like carpets.  He could smell their delicious scent as he
swooped low, and heard the humming of bees.  Only the butterflies danced
silently in the breeze.
Jonathan loved watching the mountain goats, the chamois.  They had no fear of
heights at all, one minute grazing peacefully at the most exposed and dangerous
looking places, only to jump suddenly over scale and rocks, light-footedly
running down the steepest mountain-slopes.
Occasionally the two birds disturbed groups of small furry animals, marmots
they were called, Barry said.  As soon as they saw the two birds approaching
they were off, disappearing fast into their holes.
The mountains grew so high, all vegetation gradually disappeared.  Now, there
was only rock and ice and snow - no trees or flowers, not even grass or moss.
No animal or plant, not even bees or butterflies could survive here.  Only an
eagle might venture up occasionally, to look around.
Jonathan and Barry flew on, until they reached a gigantic mountain range with
one peak so tall and steep, no one could ever climb it.  It rose higher than
all the other peaks, the summit hidden in a layer of cloud.
Jonathan could not believe a mountain could be so high and steep, could really
rise into the sky.  But this one did.
He slowed in his flight, looking in amazement at this majestic mountain.
"Are you sure, you want to go on?"  Barry asked.
Jonathan nodded.  He was quite sure.  Now he had seen this mountain, he knew he
must get up there all the way, right to the summit.  On the very top he must
stand, not as a bird, but as himself, Jonathan the boy.
But it took a long, long time.  Jonathan was already very tired, and grew more
tired still, but said nothing and flew on.  It must be he - Jonathan himself -
who reached the top through his own efforts.
Finally they reached the cloud hiding the summit.  It was so thick, he could
see nothing, not even Barry.  Still he flew on, just trusting luck and trusting
Barry.
Suddenly they broke through the thick white mist, and Jonathan could see again.
 Now, at last, he could see the summit.  And here - on the highest point of all
- they finally landed.

from
Vanessa The Google Girl.
my skype name is rainbowstar123