[guide.chat] hardest hit campaign

  • From: "JunePorter" <june.porter9@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 09:43:13 -0000

Hello everyone
As you may know the government plan to change the welfare system changing DLA
into Pip (personal independence payments) which will make it harder for blind
and visually impaired people to receive. They are also introducing a time limit
on those claiming employment support allowance  and are trying to get disabled
people off those benefits into work. We have been campaigning on this for some
time, and I'm  asking that you sign a Christmas card to the government with
your comments about these reforms.
We don't want anyone losing their money.
Kind regards
June Porter
from Liverpool

Hope this finds you all well.  Please see the message below from head
office with regard to the next stage of the Hardest Hit campaign,
sending a Christmas card to DWP, complete with 10,000 signatures.
Please sign this and circulate round your networks if you can.  This
really is our last chance to make an impact with this campaign so is
vitally important.

Dear All

The Welfare Reform Bill is making its way through the final stages in
Parliament. The next month provides us with our last real opportunity as
a sector to influence the bill and we need to make our next action BIG
and LOUD.

A giant Christmas card has been organised by the Hardest Hit campaign
group (DBC (Disability Benefits Consortium). The famous cartoonist and
illustrator, Gerald Scarfe, is illustrating the card. We have 2 weeks
(deadline 6 December) to gather 10,000 signatures before the card is
presented to the Government in early December. Please cascade this
action out to all volunteer campaigners, members forum representatives
and local societies. We are asking each contact we have to gather 10
signatures each to help us reach our target of 10,000 signatures by the
beginning of December.

The action is timed for WRB reaching Report Stage in the House of Lords
and aims to increase political pressure on the Government by
demonstrating mass concern over how disabled people will be affected by
proposals within the Welfare Reform Bill, particularly the time-limit on
ESA and PIP proposals.

We look forward to seeing the signatures flooding in and will stay in
touch to report on progress. Text of the action follows:

"Dear David Cameron and Nick Clegg,

While we don't expect gifts this Christmas, we do want our basic rights
protected and the support to enable us to live independently and with
dignity.
Please make the New Year something disabled people can look forward to
by:
*Not bringing in an arbitrary time-limit on Employment and Support
Allowance for those who've paid into the system and still need support.
*Making sure that those who rely on Disability Living Allowance continue
to receive the financial support they need through Personal Independence
Payment"

This is the link to the online action:
http://www.e-activist.com/ea-action/widget?widgetId=752

Please do ask each of your contacts to promote this action to ten of
their friends/ contacts each. Those signing the card can also leave a
short comment if they wish in the card. The above link is the fastest
route for people who have access to the internet to take part directly,
but we also need to encourage off-line sign up and that's where your
wider campaign networks come in.

Please collect any "off-line" signatures and comments (form attached)
and send them through to Judd Street campaigns team by telephone on 020
7391 2123 or by email to campaign@xxxxxxxxxxx so we can ensure they are
added to the online signatures that are being collected via the above
link.

Many thanks

Michael
 the Government