[guide.chat] guide.chat - the good old days

  • From: "Lyn Rudge" <b00kworm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 09:58:46 -0000

Hi June,

Yes, I think most of these residential schools left a lot to be desired when it
came to food.  I am sure you are right, they probably gave us the cheapest cuts
of meat which were usually very fatty and never properly cooked.  We also used
to have cocoa in the winter which used to be brought to the classroom several
minutes before break time so, by the time we had to drink it, there was usually
a skin which had formed on the top of the jug.  Just the thought of it makes me
feel quite ill!

I certainly remember the washing having to be done in a tub and Mum would boil
up the water first and I would visit my Aunt who didn't have a bathroom so they
used to have a bath in front of the fire in the living-room which I always
thought of as a novelty at that time;  certainly wouldn't like it now!

Regards,

Lynn