[guide.chat] government put our personal information in bins unshreded

  • From: "vanessa" <qwerty1234567a@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "GUIDE CHAT" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 12:06:08 -0000

Business Secretary Vince Cable has apologised unreservedly after sensitive
documents were found in bins outside his constituency office.

The unshredded papers, discovered by an unnamed member of the public, included
personal details including people's names, addresses and national insurance
numbers.
Others included letters between ministers, Government briefing documents and a
diary listing Dr Cable's meetings.
The man who found the documents - who has decided to remain anonymous - told
the Richmond and Twickenham Times Mr Cable's attitude to the information was
"careless and irresponsible".
Describing the moment he spotted the transparent bags outside the MP's office,
he said: "I thought 'Am I seeing correctly or not?' and thought I better look
inside.
"Then I realised just how extensive it was and I just monitored it to see if it
stopped."
He added that some of the documents contained personal information to do with
disability, health and mental problems - and gave full details of names,
addresses and in some cases phone numbers.
I apologise unreservedly to all my constituents for what has clearly been an
unacceptable breach of their privacy.
Vince Cable
The Liberal Democrat MP has alerted the Information Commissioner's Office,
which is looking into the matter before deciding whether to investigate.
Dr Cable has written an open letter to his constituents apologising for the
"unacceptable breach of their privacy".
He said: "I have been alerted to a breach of data security at my Twickenham
constituency office.
"A system is in place for shredding of confidential files and for safeguarding
case work.
"Nonetheless, some correspondence which should have been protected was placed
in bags for recycling outside the office.
"I apologise unreservedly to all my constituents for what has clearly been an
unacceptable breach of their privacy.
"As soon as I heard what had happened I instructed my office to introduce a
more secure system for handling sensitive information and this has now been
done.
"The staff responsible accept that this was an entirely inappropriate way to
handle such paperwork and that this was a serious error.
"I have also notified the Information Commissioner that there has been a data
security breach."
Meanwhile, the whistleblower
The alleged data security breach is the latest embarrassment for Dr Cable.

Oliver Letwin also failed to protect confidential paperwork

It comes a month after he paid a £500 penalty for failing to register VAT on
his freelance earnings.
A cabinet minister told Sky News people "no longer take him seriously" after he
told undercover Daily Telegraph journalists he had declared "war" on Rupert
Murdoch.
The papers were discovered by a constituent in transparent recycling bags over
a nine month period, who later notified Mr Cable's local newspaper.
Mr Cable said: "I am disappointed that someone went through the office
recycling then hoarded the confidential and sensitive paperwork for some months
rather than alerting me or a member of my staff."
An ICO spokesperson said: "I can confirm that Vince Cable MP's constituency
office has informed the ICO of a potential data breach and we will now make
enquiries.
"This is the second example in recent weeks of an MP or their staff allegedly
mishandling constituency paperwork and again highlights the need to ensure that
personal details are kept secure.
"When constituents contact their MP they have the right to expect that the
information they share will stay private - it is of paramount importance that
this principle is upheld."
Last month Cabinet Office minister Oliver Letwin apologised for dumping
paperwork in park bins.

Vanessa The Google Girl.