[guide.chat] girl uses tongue to write and lips to read

  • From: "harold kitching" <harold.kitching01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "guide chat" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2012 21:54:42 +0100

Kenya: Girl Uses Tongue to Write and Lips to Read
Tagged: Children, East Africa, Education, Human Rights, Kenya BY MONICAH
MWANGI, 2 OCTOBER 2012 They say being blind is not miserable but not being
able to bear blindness is. Located about 50km northeast of Nairobi is a
place for blind children preparing to conquer the world through education.
From the entrance of the Thika School for the Visually Impaired, one can
notice the mutual trust and friendship among the children. Walking close to
each other with hands held tight, they enjoy childhood in the best way they
know how.
It is said most of these children are happier in school than at their homes,
something the head teacher Jonathan Makhoha confirmed. "Here they find other
people who are like them and staff who support them unlike home settings
where a child may be the only one who is blind in a family or even an entire
village," he explained.
With a population of about 300 students, all of whom are either visually
impaired or blind, the school is a centre of excellence - a testament to the
great work by the teaching staff and thirst to learn by the children.
The opportunities the school provides to the children are amazing, setting
them up to excel in jobs or further their education. Indeed, every closed
eye is not sleeping as was evident with the children who actively engaged in
their studies using braille machines.
Among the students is Irene Nthambi, a 12-year-old girl who is blind and has
a paralysis of the nerves. This means Irene cannot use her hands to operate
the braille machine.
When she was enrolled at the school five years ago, teachers had a hard time
trying to help her out. "We had tried almost all means to help her hold a
stylus (a pen used by the blind) to no avail," said the school's deputy head
teacher Penina Mutuku.
Everything has its wonders. Irene's breakthrough came about a week before
she was to be sent back home as the teachers had given up on her. "I was
feeling bad that a special team was sending home a child to parents who know
nothing or little about blindness," said Penina.
She went to Irene and spent hours with her. "As we talked, it was obvious
she could talk fluently meaning her mouth nerves were strong." Penina
immediately reached for a stylus, fixed it in her mouth and Irene picked up
almost immediately. "I was excited beyond words," said Penina who feels like
a mother to Irene.
Using a slate (braille paper), the teachers began the training which they
thought would take long. "She would sometimes miss out the paper and hurt
her lips but this improved with time."
It only took a month for Irene to master this. "She picked up very fast and
has never looked back. It was like a button waiting to be pressed,"
confessed Penina.
Now in class four, Irene, who is always smiling, uses her tongue to hold the
stylus and writes with ease. She uses her lips to read and is always top of
the class.
The girl, who has a special attachment to Penina, likes to hang around her
office and confesses that it's because of her she can now read and write.
"We are more than friends with teacher Penina and she is always there for
me; I am happy to have her around me," Irene said shyly. Penina on her part
says she feels she has achieved something in life.
"When I come here, I come as everything; a mother, a teacher, and even a
doctor. In fact I don't call it school, I call it a ministry," Penina said.
She said her relationship with Irene is deep and everyone in the school
knows. "We have become the best of friends and her smile gives me the
strength to continue," Penina said.