[guide.chat] floods getting worse until britain is under water

  • From: vanessa <qwerty1234567a@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "GUIDE CHAT" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 06:53:06 +0100

UK floods: Homes at risk as misery continues

The foundations of a block of flats in Newburn near Newcastle could clearly be
seen from the air
Flats unstable after flood damage
Man recalls escape from flood car
Flooding misery is continuing as rising waters put thousands of people's homes
at risk around the UK.

The wet weather is still causing chaos in many communities, with roads, rail
and buildings affected.

A block of flats in Newburn, Newcastle, is said to be close to collapse and
Tadcaster, North Yorkshire, was split in two after a bridge was closed.

Homes and businesses in York city centre were also flooded after the River Ouse
burst its banks.

Local people told the BBC the flooding could be the most severe in recent
memory, however the Environment Agency said the river would not breach the
city's flood defences.

There are still nearly 60 flood warnings - indicating flooding is expected -
and more than 100 flood alerts - meaning flooding is possible - in England and
Wales, and three flood alerts in Scotland.

Flooding in York could be the most severe in recent memory, according to locals
In Wiltshire, an 11-year-old boy is in a "potentially life-threatening
condition" after being struck by lightning shortly after 15:00 BST.

While in Newcastle, police branded looters "despicable" after a bicycle shop in
a flood-hit community was raided while roads were blocked by water and silt.

In other developments:

A man has spoken of his escape from his car seconds before it was submerged by
raging floodwater in Newburn, Newcastle
In West Yorkshire six flood warnings remain in place, along parts of the rivers
Aire, Calder and Wharfe
Boroughbridge in North Yorkshire was divided when a bridge over the River Ure
was closed due to flooding. Further north, a small bridge partially collapsed
in the village of Scorton, near Richmond
Train services remain subject to some disruption and delays in northern England
and Wales
The North Sea foam that swept into Aberdeen during storms on Tuesday has now
cleared
Durham Police says the A1 (M) has reopened southbound, with a 50mph advisory
limit, but is still closed northbound at Leeming Bar
London Road in Northwich town centre is closed amid fears the River Weaver will
burst its banks
North Yorkshire firefighters evacuated about 20 homes in Dalton, near Thirsk
A river known locally in the Scottish Borders as the Cuddie burst its banks in
Peebles, flooding nearby roads and pavements
East Coast trains said it had resumed a near-normal service between London and
Edinburgh
In Newburn, bikes worth thousands of pounds were stolen from KB Cycles
overnight.

Met Office weather warnings
Environment Agency flood warnings
Scottish Environment Protection Agency flood warnings
The Newburn flats' foundations were badly damaged after heavy rain deluged the
area. The flats have been evacuated.

Mick Murphy, technical director of Newcastle City Council, said the Spencer
Court flats were "extremely unstable" and they were waiting for a break in the
weather so the damage could be assessed.

"I have never seen anything like this in 33 years of civil engineering
experience," he said.

Flooding is still causing problems for roads, rail and buildings, as the most
intense September storm for 30 years continues.

BBC weather forecasters said the heaviest rush-hour showers were seen in
south-west England, circulating around low pressure over Torbay.

They said they received reports of nearly 20mm (0.75ins) of rain falling over
the course of an hour in some areas.

In northern England, the A1 near Catterick and the A66 near Darlington remained
closed.

Oli Barrett: "A few drivers passed us smiling and giving us the thumbs"
Assistant Chief Constable Iain Spittal, of North Yorkshire Police, said: "The
flooding situation across North Yorkshire continues to cause problems, with
roads and the transport network affected.

"We are seeing an improving picture in parts of Hambleton and Richmondshire,
although we still have lots of roads closed and all the agencies are working
hard to get the A1 open again.

"However, the indication is that the A1 at Catterick will remain closed
throughout the day with diversions in place."

Downing Street said there were currently "no plans" for meetings of Number 10's
Cobra emergency committee but the situation was "always kept under review".

The Local Government Association has called on the government to set up an
emergency fund to help pay for millions of pounds of repairs to roads left in
"disarray".

BBC Look North, Newburn
I can see a huge pile of mud which looks like it has landed from nowhere on
what was once a bustling high street.

We now know it is a landslide which has been washed down from the top of the
hill and the rubble, mud and silt also contains the foundations of a block of
flats.

Diggers are working to get rid of the debris but it is going to be quite a
while before they remove, for instance, a car I can see which is buried almost
up to its roof in silt.

It is an unprecedented scene, and while it may look terrible down here, at the
top there is a block of flats, teetering on the edge of collapse.

BBC weather forecaster Helen Willetts said the worst of the rainfall was over
but the worry was that it was still running into river systems so there could
be more flooding.

Morpeth in Northumberland suffered flooding in 2008 and again during this storm
but defences are not expected to start being built until next year.

Alan Bell, of the Morpeth Flood Action Group, said residents were afraid every
time it rained: "There's always panic in the town, we always check the weather."

He added: "When you've been flooded, you always worry about when it rains. Four
years is a long time. At least we might be able to rest easily at night when
it's raining."

Floods minister Richard Benyon said he understood the "frustration" the
residents felt at a lack of action on flood defences.

BBC Weather's Peter Gibbs has the details of why the low pressure system is
being recorded as the most intense September storm in 30 years
"It's really tragic for this community because they actually have a flood
scheme that is about to start which would protect a lot of homes in Morpeth,"
he said.

He defended the delays, saying arranging funding, planning permission and
construction all took time.

"We have to make sure that the flood schemes we build are a good use of
taxpayers' money and are effective in protecting the houses that they seek to
defend," he said.

Tuesday saw some places deluged in what was their wettest September day on
record, with hundreds of homes being evacuated.

Hundreds of people spent the night in temporary shelter and parts of many roads
were closed.

More than 300 properties have flooded across the country since the storm began
on Sunday, including in Morpeth, Durham, Chester-le-Street and Stockton, the
Environment Agency said.

from
Vanessa The Google Girl.
my skype name is rainbowstar123