[guide.chat] episode 14 the adventures of Mary Jane

  • From: "Jenny Mock" <r.mock356@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Guide Chat List" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2012 18:49:44 +0100

Sometimes when they didn't need Chang for work and I was working late at the
hospital Lofty would walk up to meet me from work and bring Chang with him, one
evening as I went through the front door I heard the Matron asking the dog what
his name was,? I told her he was named Chang and was a guard dog,once he saw me
he pulled over to me and would not walk with Lofty on the lead he had to walk
with me,we had to watch him a bit though as he didn't like children and when my
sister came with her children we had to keep him safely shut out the back so
there would not be any problems,we did have a couple of near misses but soon
learned by this to keep him out the way when children were around,
at first I had to work in a warehouse so that I could get some money to live on
but once I got the job at the hospital looking after mothers and babies also
doing other things, I felt very proud to have this job as I never thought I
would have the chance to do a job like that, so was really sorry when I had to
leave,
After I came back from Manor house my Mother in law started to want to take me
everywhere but I told her I could go places by myself I had been trained to use
the cane so I wanted to be independent, she told me that she was responsible
for me when Lofty was at work,I told her that the only person that was
responsible for me was me, sometimes I would go out to town early and come home
and finish the housework,as long as dishes beds and hoovering  was done I would
finish the rest off when I got back,on a number of occasions my mother in law
was waiting for me when I got back and said she had been waiting for me to come
home so I could go to her house and have breakfast,I told her I had already had
breakfast and was going to finish my housework,I really think she thought she
was being helpful but to me it was a bit overpowering,although both my in laws
were very good to me my mother in law used to make all my clothes which I was
grateful for as we didn't have much money to buy luxury's  such as new clothes,
she also made curtains and things like that for our house, the only trouble was
we lived only four doors away and she would come to our house several times a
day,
just before I finished work Lofty bought me a golden retriever puppy who we
named Sabre,it was good because when I was home all day I could teach him how
to behave, one day I was doing some baking and had the table loaded with jam
tarts sausage rolls and pasties I noticed Sabre was eating something and
discovered it was a jam tart,then he had a sausage roll, I thought how is he
getting these things then I saw him climb onto the stool beside the table and
help himself, my hand went under his bottom and he was hoisted out of the back
door and into his kennel, but he never tried that trick again,
Two years after I left work I decided to apply for a guide dog as I was getting
frustrated as the family would not let me go out alone unless I had a dog,I had
Sabre who was not a guide dog but he would have made a very good one as when I
walked him on the lead he would not pull and would guide me around obstacles
but as far as the family were concerned  that didn't count,
I had a very nice social worker at the time called Kev and he came with the
forms and helped me fill them out, of course you know the procedure  and after
formalities were dealt with I was told that I could have a dog and my name
would be on the list,
I qualified with Melony white German shepherd on our 9th wedding anniversary
and took her home with me,Sabre was a bit put out at first as he had always
been the only dog in the house,but after a couple of little nips the two dogs
settled down to life together,

watch this space for next episode
kind regards from Jenny Ray and  doggies skype name jenny.mock97