[guide.chat] book chapter one jonathan and his dragon

  • From: vanessa <qwerty1234567a@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "GUIDE CHAT" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 22:45:07 -0000

                                                   CHAPTER 1

On a warm Sunday night, Jonathan lay in bed trying to sleep.  But in spite of
his efforts sleep would not come - too many disturbing thoughts were in his
mind.  So, after a while, he opened his eyes and looked out through the open
window into the velvety dark of the night sky.  For a brief time he marvelled
at the wonders out there in space, but then his bad thoughts came back, going
round in his head, again and again.  But he needed to sleep - tomorrow was
school, he'd have to get up early.  Again he shut his eyes, and, remembering
what his dad had once told him, he began counting sheep, imagining how they
jumped, one at a time, over a hedge.  When this did not work either, he sat up
once more, looking around his bedroom.  It was a new and strange bedroom - a
bedroom Jonathan was not used to and did not want to get used to, because he
did not want to be here.  He felt like a stranger, he did not belong.
Admittedly, this bedroom was nice.  Against the wall stood a wardrobe next to a
chest of drawers, and a desk with a computer was strategically placed on the
opposite wall near the window, with books and computer games close by on
shelves.  But Jonathan would have much rather been home in his old room without
a computer, just with his few books and games and old toys.  At least they were
his - here, nothing belonged to him really.

With a deep sigh he put his head back on the pillow and tried to sleep once
more, trying hard to leave his worries behind for a while, forget he was no
longer home, at home with his mother.

Just then Auntie Jean opened the door to see if he was sleeping.  Jonathan
closed his eyes quickly.  But she did not leave, but came in and sat down on
his bed, smoothing his hair back and planting a kiss on his forehead.  In spite
of it all this felt good, and something in Jonathan wanted to kiss her back, or
hug her at least.  Instead, he closed his eyes even more tightly, breathing
deeply to show he was fast asleep.

He heard her sigh, felt his bed moving a little as she got up, then her soft
steps retreated and the door closed again.  Jonathan was finally alone, just as
he had wanted.  So why was he so sad, tears welled up, trying to choke him?
But he had promised himself never to cry again, whatever happened. He was glad
to be alone, he reminded himself, because no one could hurt him then.  No one
cared anyway, so no one should know how he felt, and that he was so sad and
frightened, he wanted to cry.  But he would not - he was big and strong and
brave and tough.

"I know I am brave and tough," Jonathan said, to strengthen his courage.  He
would ignore his sadness and fears, and think about nice things.  Instead, he
remembered school; the new school he had to attend since coming to live with
Auntie Jean, only a week ago.  She was not even his real aunt.  No wonder, she
did not care how he felt, or, how terrible the new school was.  Even if he told
her, she would do nothing about it, he was quite sure.

He missed his old school, and his friends, most of all he missed his home,
especially his mother.

He hated it here - hated everything here, even Auntie Jean.  And he hated his
new school.  He would never get used to it.

"Why do you live with your aunt?" a boy had asked him during break.  Jonathan
did not know what to say.  He was afraid if he told the truth, his class-mates
would feel sorry for him - but he did not want their sympathy.  Neither did he
want to be different from them.  No one should know what had happened to him,
and that he had been taken away from his home, away from his mother.

So Jonathan had invented a story, he said his father worked in America, had
become ill, and his mother was needed to look after him in America.  But when
the children wanted to know more about his parents, Jonathan's explanations got
muddled up, having to make everything up on the spot.  A girl called him a
liar, and other children joined in.  The more Jonathan insisted he wasn't
lying, the less they believed him.  One thing led to another, a boy pushed
Jonathan, he pushed back, and a fight started.  Luckily, Mrs Winthrop, their
teacher, came in and separated the children.

Now, after all that, no one would want to be his friend.  No one liked him, no
one wanted him.  He had no one now.

It had all been very different, a long time ago.

If only he could change everything - or something, at least.

Suddenly it occurred to the boy that perhaps he could.  Perhaps if he wished
real hard, thought hard enough, perhaps his wish would come true.  And what he
wanted to wish for, that, Jonathan knew exactly.

Closing his eyes, he concentrated, and thought as hard as he could.  At first
it was difficult, because all kinds of words and pictures came into his mind.
But he pushed them away, again and again, until nothing remained but his wish.

"I wish to have someone who really loves me, just like I am.  No matter what I
say, or do, or what I look like."  Jonathan spoke in a loud voice, he spoke
with strength and determination, and then he repeated his words.  Taking a deep
breath, he said them once more just to make sure, and because three times was
lucky.

Then, with his eyes still closed, he waited a while to give his wish sufficient
time to come true.  Even so, he was afraid nothing would happen.  But, just in
case, he kept his eyes shut as long as he could.  When he finally opened them,
Jonathan stared in amazement.  He could not believe what he saw.

'I must be dreaming,' he thought.

But his vision was no dream, he really had a visitor - and what a visitor!

The moon was shining softly through the window, and on the window-sill there
sat a dragon.  Not a huge and ferocious looking dragon as he had always
imagined dragons would be.  This dragon was rather small - smaller even than
Jonathan himself, who was almost ten, though not big for his age.

The creature was pale-green, shining with a strange orange glow where the
moonlight hit the scaly skin.  It just sat there, looking at the boy with large
friendly eyes, eyes the boy seemed to remember, as if he had seen them before.
But Jonathan had never come across this strange scaly creature, he was quite
certain of that.

Suddenly he knew why the dragon's eyes seemed so familiar.  He had really seen
such eyes before, in a picture - the picture in his bedroom at home, showing an
angel with huge white wings for flying.  This angel had had the same kind and
loving look, just like the dragon.

His mother had told him it was his guardian angel.

Jonathan blinked, and, rubbing away a tear, he looked over to the window again.

His visitor still sat there, motionless.

"Are you my guardian angel?"  The child asked.

The dragon's smile expanded from his eyes all over his face.  "Well," he
answered, "perhaps not quite - at least not quite exactly. But if you can tell
me precisely what guardian angels do, I might be able to oblige."

"They help you always, no matter what."  Jonathan knew this for a fact, his Dad
had told him, long ago, before he went away.  And although he had not seen his
Dad in years, he never forgot those words, just as he would never forget his
father.

Everyone he loved had always gone away.

But now there was this dragon - here - in his room.  A dragon he could even
talk with, and ask questions.

"What is your name?" Jonathan wanted to know first.  But because his mind was
still on his father and how much he missed him, he did not wait for an answer
but asked: "will you go away too?"

"My presence here depends entirely on you."  The dragon paused, considering his
next words carefully.  "I am here because you wished for me, and because I have
a purpose to fulfil. As long as you want me to remain, I'll stay," he said,
and, with a twinkle in his eyes, he added.  "But we can discuss the terms of my
presence in detail at a later time.  I am certain we reach an agreement we are
both happy with."

For a while the dragon and the child sat in silence.  The dragon's smile had
disappeared.  He seemed to look into the distance, as if he could see something
there.  Jonathan began to worry.  But when his eyes met those of his strange
guest, his fears completely vanished, because of all the love and understanding
he saw reflected there.  Suddenly the boy felt better.  He was not alone
anymore, he had a friend - and what a friend.  Admiringly he observed his
strange visitor, who began to speak again.

"You want to know my name, but this presents a problem - though just a minor
problem, and easily resolved."  Wrinkling his forehead, the dragon's voice
slowed and became so quiet he almost whispered, and Jonathan had to strain to
understand him.

"Where I come from everything is very different, even communication - we have
no need for a language such as yours.  But I am her now, in your world, and so
I shall acquire a name - a special name, for a very special child.  What would
you like to call me?"

The boy thought hard, wrinkling his forehead too, just like the dragon had
done.  He would find a good name - a real good name - he knew he would.  There
was a glow in him, he felt special now.  The dragon had said he was a special
child, and dragons knew about such things.

And then the name just came to him.  "A long time ago," Jonathan recalled, "I
had a dog called Barry.  He loved me."  He stopped and reconsidered.  Perhaps
the dragon would not like to be named after a dog.

But his visitor did not seem to mind.  "Then Barry I shall be," he approved.
Jumping from the window-sill, he stood on his hind legs and stretched himself.
Jonathan could see the magnificent dragon-tail in its full glory now, as his
newly acquired friend stepped over to Jonathan's bed and sat down.

But now the child wanted to jump like the dragon had done.  He threw off his
quilt, and was out of bed with one mighty jump, coming down to sit next to the
dragon.  As he turned his head to look at his visitor once more, doubts began
to rise in him.  Was Barry the right name for a scaly reptile?  This creature
was nothing like the dog he once had.  His Barry from long ago had long thick
fur.

"I used to sneak my dog Barry into bed with me, and hug him," he remembered
now.  "He was so nice to hold and cuddle - furry and soft."

This new Barry had a smooth and hairless skin, a skin with scales - green
scales, which had a strange orange glow.  He would have looked frightening had
it not been for his eyes, and he was certainly not cuddly.  But Jonathan did
not want to say how he felt, in case he upset the dragon.

Even without words, his new friend understood.  "I could take on another form,
if you prefer," he suggested.  "Perhaps you don't like dragons.  I'll be a dog
with long thick fur, if you so wish."

But Jonathan shook his head.  He rather liked having his own dragon.  A dragon
was very special, which made him feel special too.  Besides, many boys had
dogs, but none had dragons.  His decision stood firm.

"I like you as a dragon, but,"  he hesitated, uncertain, how to put his
request.  Then - finding no other way - he came straight out with it:  "It
would be nice, if you could be soft and furry, Barry."

"With pleasure," agreed his friend.  "But prior to my transformation, let us
decide some other details of my appearance, so I need not change too often.
What about colour and size?  How big or little shall I be?"

A long discussion followed.  Jonathan found it difficult to make up his mind
about the dragon's size.  What he really needed, was a dragon so huge and
ferocious, anyone who saw him would know his power, just by looking at him.  He
wanted a dragon that could protect him from all danger, a dragon that was
afraid of nothing.

But he wanted Barry to be with him always and everywhere, which would be
difficult if not impossible, if the dragon was big.  Even a middle-sized one
would still be a problem.  He could just imagine what Auntie Jean and Uncle Jim
would say if he appeared to breakfast with a dragon.  Then there was school to
consider.  Jonathan pushed that thought away fast.  School was the last thing
he wanted to think about.

He wanted the other children to like him because he was himself - was Jonathan
- and not because he had a dragon.  And he did not want to be even more
different from the others, he was too different already.

A tiny dragon would probably be better, Jonathan decided reluctantly.  A dragon
so small, he could hide him, so no one knew he was there.  He could take him to
school then, without anyone knowing, in his pocket - in a matchbox maybe - so
he would not get squashed.  And any time he needed to, he could put his hand in
his pocket, push the matchbox open, and gently touch the dragon with a finger.

Though it was difficult to put all this into words, Jonathan tried, and Barry
seemed to understand.  He even found the solution to the dilemma, assuring the
boy, he could be both, large and small - an ability which could be used to
maximum advantage in different situations, solving any problem which might
arise entirely.  Jonathan did not really understand what the dragon meant, but
he trusted his new friend and was sure that all would be well, and would become
clear in time.

Next they had to decide what colour the dragon should be, but that was easy.
"My favourite colour's purple," Jonathan said without any hesitation.  He loved
purple, and liked to have as much of it around as possible.  To have a purple
dragon would be marvellous, especially a purple dragon with soft thick fur to
snuggle into.

"Would you mind very much to be a purple dragon?" he asked his new friend

Barry nodded approvingly.  "Purple I shall be," he agreed happily.  "I like it
too, a truly noble colour.  So: I shall be purple and furry, soft and cuddly -
just as you said.   Let us begin my transformation.  The exact size for
everyday use can be decided later."

Suddenly Jonathan was frightened.  "Will you use magic?" He had hesitated to
ask this question, being in two minds about magic.  But for the dragon, magic
seemed to be a normal and everyday subject, because he simply nodded.  "Yes,"
he just said.  But as he became aware of Jonathan's apprehension, he added:
"Have no fear.  Magic is everywhere - in this world, as in other worlds.  In my
world -."  The dragon stopped, a faraway look came to his eyes, as if he could
see something in the distance invisible to Jonathan.  Then, turning his
attention back to the child, he smiled.  "Have no fear," he assured Jonathan.
"Just watch me changing."

As he began the transformation, his scaly skin grew lighter and brighter, then
brighter still, shimmering and glowing in different shades of colour,
constantly changing and blending into one another.  The dragon began to rotate.
 Gradually his shape altered, getting rounder, until he was a ball of golden
light, growing larger and then darker.  The specks of colour reappeared,
changing to pink then lilac and then to golden purple.  The dragon now looked
like a huge furry purple ball.

The strange apparition kept gliding and rotating through the air, finally
settling in the corner on top of the chest of drawers.  Even there it kept
moving, stretching from inside out in all directions, until a dragon arm
emerged and then a mighty tail.  Slowly the purple fur-ball became once more a
dragon - a very different dragon than before. But something must have gone
wrong.  This strange funny looking creature was not what Jonathan had wanted or
expected.

"You are too fat," he said, "and much too short.  I want you to look fierce and
noble, like dragons are in stories.  They look powerful, they can even breathe
fire through their nostrils.  You look nothing like them.  You are just a short
fat toy-dragon."

Perhaps I've hurt his feelings, thought Jonathan, because Barry's face took on
an indignant look.  But with the wrinkles of indignation on the purple
forehead, the chubby dragon-face looked very funny.  The boy could not stop
laughing, and as Barry stepped over to the mirror on his short fat legs,
Jonathan laughed even louder.  Looking into the mirror, the dragon began to
laugh too.

"You are right, Jonathan," he admitted, "I do look funny, and not quite as
expected.  You said, you want a fierce and dangerous-looking dragon.  No
problem, I can change again, and this time I will get it right.  So, let us be
clear and precise: you want me to have the appearance of a powerful dragon,
with fire in my nostrils."

"Well, not really in your nostrils," Jonathan giggled again.  "Dragons breathe
fire - it is in them - inside somewhere - and it comes out through their mouth
and nostrils.  Dragons are like that - they are fiery and ferocious.  Everyone
knows that, it's in all the dragon-stories from long ago."

The boy looked doubtfully at Barry's rather small and plump nose, covered in
thick fur.  It could catch fire from the slightest spark.  Suddenly he was
afraid.  He knew, never to play with fire.  But did the dragon know it too?

"Are you sure you know what you are doing?" he asked his new friend.  "Don't
play with fire.  It can be dangerous."  Barry looked like a toy-dragon, perhaps
he was not wise, after all.

The dragon seemed to know his thoughts.  "You are always safe with me,
Jonathan," he reassured him.  "But, I admit, I do look silly.  Though this is
just my present outer form which I can change at any time.  Prepare yourself to
see another me."

This time Barry turned into the rotating fire-ball almost instantly.  Just for
a second different coloured spots shone brightly, before the apparition turned
pink and lilac, then golden-purple.  For a while the purple dragon-ball rotated
through the air, gradually slowing down and settling on the floor.  Here it
began to stretch, becoming dragon-like in shape, growing taller, and taller
still.  This dragon was so big, he almost filled the room. His head touched the
ceiling, and Jonathan had to tilt his own head right back to look up into his
friend's eyes, only then could he be certain, this was still his Barry.  This
new dragon looked magnificent.  Hardly any fur covered the face, a pale face,
with a golden-purple sheen.  It was a noble, fierce face, the nostrils flaring
slightly, but enough, to imagine the fire within this noble being, and the
strength the splendid creature must have.  No one would ever dare to mess with
this dragon.  Everyone could see how dangerous he was.

As Barry stepped over to the window on powerful hind legs, Jonathan could see
all of the thick long dragon-tail, which had to curl twice around to fit into
the room.

The dragon pulled the curtains far back from the open window to stick his
magnificent nose out into the night air.  Then he breathed out.  Although he
breathed out gently and carefully, the jet of golden fire emerging from his
nostrils went right up into the night-sky - higher and higher - until coming to
a halt, just like a rising star or a firework, and bits of sparkling silvery
gold fell through the sky like shooting stars.

"You are a huge and fiery dragon, with great fire-power," Jonathan approved
wholeheartedly of this new dragon and his performance.  But sadly, the room was
far too small for such a huge creature.

Barry retreated from the open window.  "Breathing fire really is fun," he
admitted, sounding surprised.  "It seems to come natural to dragons.  But now I
better change again.  There is no room for someone of my size.  We shall have
to find a different solution - a compromise, perhaps."

"Just get smaller, but stay as you are, could you?  I like you looking
fearsome."

"Sure," Barry agreed.  "Watch me shrinking, and tell me when I am small enough."

Jonathan watched as the dragon grew smaller, stopping occasionally to ask: "am
I small enough yet?"

Each time, the boy shook his head, until the dragon was just a little taller
than Jonathan himself.  A practical size, everything considered, they both
agreed, and Barry still looked very impressive.

"I like you in that size," Jonathan decided.  "Please stay like that."

Having found the right size and appearance for the dragon, they could both
relax.  Barry sat down on the bed next to Jonathan, curling his tail around
them both.  The boy wanted to cuddle deep into the soft purple fur, but
suddenly felt shy.

Somehow his friend seemed to know.  He laid his dragon-arm round Jonathan's
shoulders, and pulled him close.

The boy sighed blissfully.  "Now you really are soft and cuddly," he said,
feeling safe and protected, the first time for so long.  "Will you stay with
me, forever?" he asked.

"It is entirely up to you, Jonathan.  I suggest that I shall stay until you
decide yourself that you don't need me anymore.  I'll stay until you tell me
otherwise.  Is that all right?"

Jonathan nodded.  He would never tell Barry to go, but keep him always and
forever.  Feeling warm and happy, his eyes were drooping, he almost fell
asleep.  But Barry was still talking, and, not wanting to be rude, he pulled
himself together and tried to listen.

The dragon was talking about being invisible.  But as Jonathan had missed the
beginning, he got confused and asked his friend to explain what he really meant.

"I am glad you ask when you don't understand," the dragon approved.  "It shows
you really want to know.  Let me say more about visibility and invisibility,
and how we can use both of these states to maximum advantage.  As you know, I
am visible now.  But if you can't see me though I'm here, then I am invisible."
 The dragon paused as if he had said something of importance, and looked at
Jonathan.

The child was puzzled, wondering what it was all about.  Barry had only stated
the obvious, he had said what everyone knew already.  There must be more to it.

His friend soon made things clearer.  "I could be visible to you, but invisible
to other people.   They would not see me then."

The more Jonathan thought about this suggestion, the less he liked it.  "But if
others can't see you, Barry," he said eventually, "does this mean you are not
real?  I want a real dragon."

"But I am real, as you put it."  Barry chuckled, he seemed to find the word
real very funny.  When he calmed down again, he continued talking.  "Unless I
make myself invisible to others, they'll see me too," he said.  "But think -
imagine all the difficulties, if everyone knows I am here."

Now, as he started thinking about it, Jonathan could see the problems,
especially when he imagined going to school with a dragon walking at his side.
The whole town would come to a halt, there would be chaos.  Then he imagined
being in school, and the dragon sitting next to him in class.  No one would do
any work.  At first the teacher and all the other children would be afraid and
stare, until they knew Barry, and realized he would not harm anyone.  Then, his
class-mates would want to be friends with him, because of Barry.  But Jonathan
wanted to be liked for himself, and not because he had a dragon.

He thought of Auntie Jean and Uncle Jim.  People would come from all over the
world, to look at the dragon.  Would Auntie Jean like it?  Jonathan did not
think so, he was not even sure that he would like it himself.  Besides, he did
not want to share his dragon with lots of strange people.  The boy sighed
deeply.

"I guess it's better, if you are invisible to other people," he finally
decided.  "But make sure, no one can hear you, or we'll be in trouble all the
same.  People might think you are a ghost."  Jonathan had to grin considering
this option, and what might happen next.

Then something else was bothering him.  He wanted Barry to protect him, and if
Barry was invisible, this might not be so easy.  No one would be afraid of an
invisible dragon - there had to be another way.  Then suddenly it just came to
him.

"If someone wants to hurt me, Barry, can you become visible, just long enough
to frighten them away?"

"Of course," the dragon nodded.  "But only in special circumstances: only if
you should be in serious danger."

Suddenly a new problem occurred to the boy, a problem, he had not even thought
of so far.  If no one knew about Barry, it would be his secret, and Jonathan
hated secrets.  The more he thought about it, the more he worried.  What if he
told about Barry, without meaning to - by accident?  It had happened before.
He was in all this mess because of telling secrets, it was the reason why he
had to live with Auntie Jean.

When he still lived at home, his mother had made him promise to keep a special
secret.  But he gave this secret away, when he told his teacher that he would
be home alone all night. He did not tell on purpose, it happened accidentally,
because did not think of what his mother had said.

Jonathan remembered it all now.  In fact, since it had happened he could hardly
ever stop thinking about it, because it had all been so terrible, and still
was.

Mrs Baker, Jonathan's teacher, had given him a letter for his mother.  She said
his Mum must sign it, and Jonathan should bring the signed letter back next
morning.  But he knew that was impossible, because his mother would not be home
that night, she'd told him.  He did not think, and told his teacher the truth,
and, by doing so, he gave away the secret.

Jonathan liked Mrs Baker, and had answered her questions truthfully without
considering the consequences.  He just did not think of anything else but
answering the questions of his teacher.  And because Mrs Baker seemed worried
about him, he told her that he would be all right, he had been alone before.
He could get his own tea quite easily - sandwiches or beans.  He liked baked
beans best, and was proud he could look after himself, be independent.  His Mum
had told him it was good to be independent.

But his teacher was still worried about him, and after school she walked home
with him.  She brought another lady with her, who told him to call her Mary,
and who insisted that she had to wait for his mother - which made no sense to
Jonathan at all, because she already knew his mother would not come back until
the next day.

By now the boy had realized he was in serious trouble, but he could not get his
two unwanted visitors to leave.  And all the time, they asked more questions.
He'd tried not to say anything anymore.  His mother would be so angry about
other people being here, she always said not to let anyone in.  She would be so
furious - and it was his entire fault.  He would not say another word and
switched the television on, ignoring the two ladies altogether.  But even that
was of no use, he still got into more trouble.

As time went on and his mother did not return, Mary had made Jonathan come with
her in the car.  She brought him to Auntie Jean.  He had never seen this lady
before, she was not his aunt, she was a stranger.  But Mary said she was his
foster mother.

He did not want a foster mother, he had a real one.  How could they take him
away from her?  Where was she?  He hated it here in this house with Auntie
Jean, and he also hated secrets.  The last thing he needed was another one.
But Jonathan did not know how to explain this whole terrible mess to the
dragon.  He did not even understand it all himself - especially why he was
here, and not at home like other children.  He did not want to be here - and he
definitely did not want another secret.

Somehow the dragon seemed to know Jonathan's worries.  "Not all secrets are the
same," he said suddenly.  "A secret can be good or bad, depending, what it is
about.  Besides, some secrets matter little and others are important - and
there are secrets, which can be very dangerous indeed."

Barry paused, to let his words sink in.  Then - as he started to speak again,
his voice was very serious.  "If you buy a present as a surprise and keep it
secret - that is all right.  It is a good secret.  But bad secrets can be
dangerous - they must be told as soon as possible.  Children should always tell
if someone hurts them, or they are neglected in some way, or put into any
danger.  Even when it is a parent who is responsible, or someone else they
love.  To keep such a secret is wrong and dangerous.  It must come to light, so
it can be resolved."

Looking lovingly at the boy, Barry pulled him close.  "It was only right you
told your secret, Jonathan.  A child your age should not be left alone so long.
It is not safe.  A fire may have started, or you could have cut yourself,
getting your meal.  You are too young to deal with such emergencies alone."
Still cradling Jonathan in his strong dragon arm, Barry lifted his other paw to
smooth a strain of hair gently from the child's forehead.

"You were right to tell," he insisted again.  "And a teacher can be a good
person to talk to."

But Jonathan barely listened anymore.  He was exhausted remembering all the
terrible things that happened, and snuggled deeper into the dragon's fur.
Finally he relaxed, feeling warm and safe.  Perhaps it was really not his fault
that he no longer lived at home with Mum.

The dragon seemed to know Jonathan's thoughts, because he said:  "It never was
your fault.  Did no one tell you?  Children are not responsible if something in
the family goes wrong.  Every child should be protected and cared for, and
receive the love it needs."

The dragon grew silent, and Jonathan was silent too now, although new questions
were forming in his mind.  But before he knew how to put them, Barry spoke
again.

"Don't worry about me being here.  There is no need to keep my presence secret.
 You can talk about me all you wish.  If other people can't see me, it makes no
difference if you say you have a dragon.  Human beings are peculiar - at least
most of them, once they become adult.  They know that many things exist which
they cannot see or understand.  But instead of searching for the truth, they
usually believe what someone else has said. Likely, he too was told, or read
about it in a book - which - in most cases - is just someone's opinion too."

Jonathan was getting bored with all this talking.  But he did not want to be
rude, and the dragon obviously thought his words were important, so reluctantly
he tried to listen.

Perhaps Barry knew how Jonathan felt, because a faint smile played over the
dragon-lips   His eyes looked into the distance as if he could find something
there to hold the child's attention.  This did not seem the case, because he
sighed deeply and scratched his chin several times.  Then he decided to explain
anyway, perhaps the child might listen, and understand some of it.

"You see, Jonathan, if I am invisible, it does not matter if you talk about me,
or even to me, in front of your foster-family," he said eventually.  "If adults
do not understand something, especially if they can't see it, they either
ignore it, or believe it is not real.  If this does not solve everything
sufficiently, and to their liking, a name is found for 'the problem'.  Once
labelled, there is no need to think about it anymore, which is easier and more
comfortable for most humans."

Barry's voice had grown so quiet, he seemed to be talking to himself, and
Jonathan had to strain, to hear.  He did not really understand what Barry
meant, and was growing more and more tired.  But he made an effort to listen as
his friend continued.

"When children talk about someone only they can see, adults often say the child
has an imaginary friend - a companion.  So it will be with us."

Jonathan felt warm and relaxed, and snuggled drowsily into the dragon's fur.
He did not have to keep Barry a secret, that was enough.  Cuddling even deeper
in the soft warm fur, he yawned.

"It must be difficult for grown-ups," he said sleepily, and sighed.  "They miss
so much."

The dragon nodded.  "Indeed they do, by closing doors to new experiences.  Only
a very few keep what they had in childhood, and they keep magic in their lives."

But the boy no longer listened.  It had been a long and exciting day, and he
was tired.  All he wanted was to sleep now.  But instead, he suddenly
remembered school, which jerked him wide awake again.  Apart from all his other
worries about going to school tomorrow, with an invisible Barry sitting next to
him in class, would he be able to think about his work?  And he was bound to
say something to the dragon, and his classmates would laugh, they would think
he was potty, they'd tease him and ask him questions again.

Realizing something else troubled the child, the dragon stopped speaking, and
for a while they sat in silence.  Perhaps Jonathan would speak about his
worries if they waited long enough.  But the boy remained silent until he
suddenly remembered that Barry had said he could be large and small.  This must
be the solution.

"Please Barry, when I go to school, could you shrink in size?  Get very small?
You need not be invisible, because I'll keep you in my pocket.  I will make
sure you don't get squashed.  And when I need to, I can touch you."

He looked at Barry, and when the dragon nodded, Jonathan continued: "I'll get a
match-box in the morning, and put something soft inside so you are comfortable."

The dragon nodded again, quite happy at the prospect of being tiny, knowing he
was powerful and strong, no matter what his size.  And Jonathan knew it too.

from
Vanessa The Google Girl.
my skype name is rainbowstar123