[guide.chat] benefits stopped if you don't excercise

  • From: vanessa <qwerty1234567a@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "GUIDE CHAT" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 03:01:10 -0000

Refuse to exercise and we could cut your benefits, fat claimants are told
The initiative could see obese people prescribed activity sessions by GPs
They would be penalised if they failed to turn up or rewarded if they do
Westminster City Council will publish a report on the scheme today

Obese benefits claimants who refuse to exercise could have their payments cut
under plans being considered by a local council.
The initiative would see obese and overweight people being prescribed physical
activity sessions by their GP at the council’s leisure facilities and then
being penalised if they failed to turn up – or rewarded if they do.
Westminster City Council will publish a report on the scheme today in
conjunction with the think-tank the Local Government Information Unit.

Bigger picture: Obese benefits claimants who refuse to exercise could have
their payments cut under plans being considered by Westminster City Council
‘Where an exercise package is prescribed to a resident, housing and council tax
benefit payments could be varied to reward or incentivise residents,’ the
report said.
The Tory-run council said a combination of ‘carrot and stick’ techniques would
be needed to encourage people to exercise.
A spokesman said: ‘We have the ability to vary benefits depending on behaviour
so it is an option.’
Patients’ attendance at exercise sessions would be monitored using smart cards,
said the report.

Councils refuse to reveal number of homes they give to foreigners: Authorities
stop giving figures amid worries over impact of immigration
Councils refuse to reveal number of homes they give to foreigners: Authorities
stop giving figures amid worries over impact of immigration
Councillors blasted for spending £4,000 on 'bonding workshop' at 900-year-old
castle
The move is being considered as local authorities prepare to take over
responsibility for ‘community wellbeing and public health’ from primary care
trusts as part of the NHS shake-up – and could pave the way for similar schemes
across the country.
At the same time, councils could be given greater  control over some benefits.
Other suggestions considered in the report include reducing red tape for
non-alcohol based social venues, to create a 24-hour ‘café culture’.

Opportunity: Philippa Roe, Leader of Westminster Council says that councils
have a great opportunity to 'improve lives by thinking how public health can be
integrated into existing local services'
Philippa Roe, leader of Westminster City Council, said: ‘Councils have a great
opportunity to improve lives by thinking how public health can be integrated
into existing local services. This can lead to savings being shared across the
entire public sector.
‘This report contains exactly the sort of bright, forward-thinking and radical
ideas that need to be looked at.
'Local government needs to seriously start considering how it is going to
manage public health before April arrives, it is only four months away.’
But critics said the scheme would not be easy to implement.
Professor John Wass, of the Royal College of Physicians, said: ‘For people to
lose weight, they must want to lose weight, and I have concerns about forcing
the public to exercise. If we want to solve a problem this big, we need to look
at the bigger picture.’
Alex Thomson, chief executive of the think-tank Localis, praised the idea as
‘localism in practice’, but said it discriminated against those who exercised
outside council facilities.
‘And even if you check in to the pool how will they know if you just sit and
have a latte in the café instead?’ he added.
Around half of British adults are overweight, and 17 per cent of men and 21 per
cent of women are obese.
Obesity is one of the biggest strains on the health budget and costs
£5.1billion a year, according to Department of Health estimates.
Dr Jonathan Carr-West, of the Local Government Information Unit, which co-wrote
the report, said: ‘Helping people and communities stay healthy is a double win
for local government. We can save money while helping citizens have better
lives.
'The ideas in this paper are intended to stimulate and provoke. They won’t all
be right for everyone but we hope they can lead a debate.

from
Vanessa The Google Girl.
my skype name is rainbowstar123