[guide.chat] bars and restaurents in parliament costs over five million pounds

  • From: vanessa <qwerty1234567a@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "GUIDE CHAT" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 23:05:57 -0000

Given a mouthful: Nick Clegg promises to look into subsidised food for MPs
after blast from phone-in caller

The Deputy PM said his "knee jerk" reaction was to axe the Parliamentary bung
when quizzed on air on LBC Radio.

Caller: Nick Clegg
PA
Nick Clegg today promised to look into subsidised food and drink for MPs after
being blasted over the perk during his radio phone-in.

The taxpayer funds bars and restaurants in the House of Commons to the tune of
£5.8million a year.

And the Deputy PM said his "knee jerk" reaction was to axe the Parliamentary
bung when quizzed on air on LBC Radio.

The caller said: "With the government's policies being around austerity cuts
and balance the books how do you justify having subsidised bars and
restaurant's in the Houses of Parliament?

"And if politicians want to get drunk and get arrested don't you think they
should pay for it themselves? Why is there any subsidy at all whatsoever?"

Mr Clegg told listeners: "Why on earth shouldn't I pay ­whatever you're paying,
£3.50, £3.60 a pint here in London, when MPs are not?"

"I have to tell you my knee jerk reaction to you is why should MPs be
subsidised for drinking in the House of Commons?"

Mr Clegg's remarks came after the Mirror revealed peers were trying to slash
waiters' pay to keep their subsidised booze and lunches.

He was also attacked by a stay-at-home mum who accused him of thinking raising
children instead of working is a "worthless job".

She accused the Coalition of discriminating against her by slashing child
benefit while increasing help with childcare for working mums.

In a withering attack on the government's policy, the caller told Mr Clegg:
"I'm just wondering why the coalition is discriminating against mothers like me
who care for their children at home with the latest announcement?"
from
Vanessa The Google Girl.
my skype name is rainbowstar123