[guide.chat] awesome band

  • From: "harold kitching" <harold.kitching01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "guide chat" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 22:01:17 +0100

: Awesome band

.
hi all, a friend sent this to me. i thought you might find this interesting.
i've left the information he put on it. he went to see them. hope the links
work. that he put in this email. love si
Every person in the band has a disability.
There are some with Autism, some with downs syndrome, and at least two of them
that are blind.
They definitely are an example that anything is possible if you set your mind
to it.
They played for 3 hours, and they play a big variety of songs.
They have been together since 2003, and they play around the US and Europe each
year.
Even though they do play a lot of cover songs, they do have 3 of their own
albums.
Below is a little information I got off the Internet about the band, then I
give you two you tube links to listen to a couple of songs done by them.  One
of the songs is their own song.
Taken from the internet:
Michelle sings and Nick plays bass guitar, while David is on the drums and
Adrienne the keyboards.
They're four of the 10 musicians in Flame the Band, a group composed entirely
of people with developmental/physical disabilities, like Michelle King, who has
autism; Nick Robinson, with paraplegia; and David LaGrange and Adrienne
Phillips, who are blind.

Flame the Band is changing how people view those with disabilities one song at
a time, according to Maria Nestle, the band's manager.

"Each member is like a puzzle piece, but when the pieces come together, they
become one piece of art," she says. "The deepness of each person can be felt
from the music they make, and we have found that there is a lot to be learned
from the members."

Attendees at a Flame concert leave feeling inspired to "follow their dreams -
that anything is possible," says Nestle.

"Flame gives hope and inspiration to many," she says. "Recently, we had a
mother tell us we gave her hope that her six-month-old child with Down syndrome
can live a great life and have fun doing it."

Flame, with four CDs to its credit including the latest with original material,
also includes members Falon McBride, percussion and vocals; Scott Stuart,
percussion and vocals; Shawn Lehr, a dancer; Paul D. Zucherwar, conga drum;
Debbie Woodruff, a dancer; and Karl Blanchard, conga drum.

Each exemplifies a spirit of ability, not disability, says Nestle.

"David LaGrange (blind), for example, always had dreamed of being in a band but
was told his dreams were too big (and) he'd never record a CD," says Nestle.
"Boy, did he prove them wrong."

Not unlike other bands, Flame travels in a tour bus, sells band merchandise and
has a fan club following. The group, whose song list includes more than 100
hits, from classic rock to country and blues, drew its name from the Special
Olympics torch.

Now here is two you tube links to listen to the band performing two songs:

A live classic rock song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6LAUOjrQlA
A song from one of there albums (words are really good):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KiOZEusX20