[guide.chat] Two Carol Re york

  • From: "Harold Kitching" <harold.kitching01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Forum chats guade forum" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 15:23:06 +0100

Hi Carol

I am glad you had a good day when you came to york

the castle that you mentioned that was up on the hill

it's called Clifford's Tower

it was used as a prison in ancient times

it has got a well where people throw coins

and the cathedral you referred to

is York Minster

the place that would have suited you the best

would have been Betty's tearoom

it's a rather expensive

but there is always a queue

the cakes are so delicious

meringues with fresh cream fruit and nuts are about as big as a sourcer

and the cream slices are so delicious

they are about 2 inches thick

but difficult to eat

Cream horns and all other wonderful cakes

I received a Betty's hamper when I retired

that was full of their home-made chocolate and chocolates

their biscuits sugar mice

tea and coffee

a gorgeous fruitcake

all the fruit in it had been soaked in Sherry

and there are the bar walls that circled the old city

they were built by the Romans

and also the shambles

in days gone by they were all butchers shops

the street is so narrow the upper stories were built further out than the
ground floor

I think this was the first health and safety

because they used to empty their slops out of the bedroom window

disgusting

Best wishes Harold