[guide.chat] New Word

  • From: "Elizabeth Kay" <ebeth.kay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Guide.chat" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 10:58:41 +0100

I have been attempting to invent a new word to describe my feelings about the
inconsiderant way visually impaired people are treated by society today This
would be a word compounded  of all the other words I need to express my deep
resentment. Words such as: anger, frustration, exasperation and aggravation all
rolled into one. However the only word I have come up with so far is
"Damnblastation" which is not very original. I should be pleased to have
suggestions.

The most recent example of what I am complaining about occurred last week  when
I went to my local post office to draw money uding chip and pin, only to find
that the machine had been changed to one with buttons so small and black that I
could not even see them. I was obliged disclose my pin to one of the assistant
so that he could enter them for me in a shop full of customers. I experienced
the same problem at the hairdressers the following day.  I have had no previous
trouble using plastic but if for some reason this inconvenience spreads, my
independance wil be gone.
When banks are so security minded it seems incredible that this lack of
consideration should exist.

Another bone of contention is the size of print on hotel and restaurant menus.
I always ask for a large print version, even though I know that no such thing
will be available. I suggest that just one would be sufficient for the benefit
of people who cannot read small print, but they seem to think I shoud be
satisfied having the menu read out to me as though I were a child. The same
thing happened to me in hospital when I was asked to tick off ny choice of
meals for thhe following day . The nurse could not even be bothered to read the
whole of the menu as I discovered when I struggled to read it using a
magnifying glass.I feel sure technology could help and I daresay something of
the sort already exists.

These are just a few examples of damnblastation  or sight discrimination some
of us have to live with.  Elizabeth