[guide.chat] Memories

  • From: "Jenny Coupe" <jenny@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 14:02:10 +0100

NOT FOR THE SQUEAMISH !!

hi all. following on from various accounts of past life .Elizabeth's account of
the face mask reminded me as a very young nurse, just 17, I was on the
children; ward, twice a week we admitted 8 lids for the removal of tonsils and
adenoids, in those days removing them was the cure all. Looking back it was
brutal,the kids were carried into the surgical room,placed on the table,the
anaesthetist had the mask ready to drip the ether, the surgeon then appeared
with a snatch instrument and removed the tonsils and the scrapped out
theadnoids ,the kids were then brought rounds having their face washed with
cold water. the small of ether, blood and vomit remains me today 50 years later.
Lord only knows how much damage  we did to these kids
Jenny C