[guide.chat] In reply to: Upgrading Guide 6 to Guide 7.

  • From: Sarah Jones <Sarah.Jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 13:22:41 +0000

We're sorry to read that some of you feel unfairly treated with regards to
upgrading Dolphin Guide and the recent release of Guide version 7.

Back when Guide was sold by Software Express, some customers purchased an 'SUP'
or Software Updates Package' which meant they would automatically receive any
available updates or releases over the following 3 years. This package was only
available when buying a new box of Guide OR as part of a Silver or Gold
computer package. If you did not purchase an SUP (or 'SMA' as Dolphin call it)
then upgrades are chargeable at the time of their release - it is of course
optional and you decide if you want to upgrade or not.

After Dolphin acquired Software Express in November 2008, version 5 of Guide
was released in February 2009 followed by version 6 in July 2010. Unlike any
previous version, no fewer than 7 free updates were released for Guide version
6 and these were available to ALL Guide version 6 customers via the Internet
Updater.

As you know from experience, computers and the Internet are an ever-changing
landscape which we work continually to support with Dolphin Guide. For example,
each time the BBC change their Listen Again service or websites get updated, we
invest time and effort to ensure this works with Guide. During the lifetime of
version 6, we worked on a large number of fixes which were delivered in these
free updates. Clearly this development work alongside providing a support team
to assist customers over the phone has a cost associated with it and the way
this is paid for is by customers paying to upgrade when a new version becomes
available. It would of course be lovely if we could offer existing customers
free updates for life but this just isn't sustainable.

Upon the release of version 6, new customers were given 2 years of free updates
and one free upgrade to the next version, when available. Dolphin has in fact
decided to exceed this offer and will deliver version 7 AND 8 for free to
customers who purchased version 6 at full price.

In summary, the people who are eligible for a free upgrade to Guide version 7
are:
* Those who bought version 6 as a full box
* Those who bought version 6 as full box, with a computer package
* Those who have a valid Software Management Agreement (SMA) with Dolphin
In line with this, we continue to despatch the version 7 discs to these
customers and will continue to do so over the coming weeks.

Dolphin is sympathetic that some people may feel disappointed and if you have
any valid documentation from Software Express which states anything different
then we'd be more than happy to review it on a case-by-case basis.

Sarah Jones at Dolphin Computer Access
sarah.jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

IMPORTANT INFORMATION This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are
confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to
whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please delete
it from your system, do not use or disclose the information in any way and
notify postmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. Any views or opinions expressed in this
e-mail are those of the sender and do not necessarily coincide with those of
Dolphin Computer Access Ltd.

Dolphin Computer Access Limited. Registered in England No. 2065974. Registered
address - Technology House, Blackpole Estate West, Worcester, WR3 8TJ, United
Kingdom.